Getting too old for this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ-7

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got into rec tree climbing (and light trimming) over 12 years ago when I was in my mid 50's. Now at 67 I haven't climbed in 2 years, sort of lost interest and it is isn't an easy activity. Am thinking I should sell what little equipment I have (Weaver leg strap saddle and 120' of Blue Streak yadda, yadda) but I just can't let it go. Maybe I will just let my boys have it someday, one is an ironworker and has borrowed it before to get into the trees. Then again, you never know when the bug might bite again.

I know exactly what you mean. 63 here and I don't climb much anymore. I took down a 55' Walnut Saturday and found that I'm not as fast or steady as I once was. The "squirrel after a nut" is for the most part gone.

Hey, thanks for writing! I'll show these posts to my wife and enable me to keep my stuff another 10 years. I'm 57, have slowed some over the years. Trying to smell the roses, but can't find them in the trees I work on. My friend says it's a man rule to not give up the garage. So, keep adding saws to the collection and pass it on to the sons!

Know what you mean!
Only went up a small cedar 30 feet today to tie in a line 'just to make sure' of a fall direction of the tree as it was near the house and was letting the 12 YO grandson fell it solo. Don't think I've free climbed that high in 5 years, to used to having a bucket or platform on loader! Seemed a lot harder to climb than it used to!
Last month, dropped a hemlock near their house that needed topping first, and the older 14 YO grandson went up to top of that with a handsaw faster than I could have gotten to the first limb !

I got into rec tree climbing (and light trimming) over 12 years ago when I was in my mid 50's. Now at 67 I haven't climbed in 2 years, sort of lost interest and it is isn't an easy activity. Am thinking I should sell what little equipment I have (Weaver leg strap saddle and 120' of Blue Streak yadda, yadda) but I just can't let it go. Maybe I will just let my boys have it someday, one is an ironworker and has borrowed it before to get into the trees. Then again, you never know when the bug might bite again.
I wish I could still be climbing at your age! Well played to you.

Back