Getting wet firewood to burn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trx250r180

Saw polisher
Reaction score
Most of my dry stuff is burned up ,i have a stack that is 2 years seasoned ,but soaked from the heavy rains from being uncovered ,i got it to burn though ,but please do not try this at home .
Can see the water boiling out of one end ,lol This is my workshop with concrete floor ,would not try this in the house .wet firewood 709.jpg wet firewood 711.jpg

I use a weed burner all the time. Actually it's a quite popular method up here for guys with boilers.

Most of my dry stuff is burned up ,i have a stack that is 2 years seasoned ,but soaked from the heavy rains from being uncovered ,i got it to burn though ,but please do not try this at home .
Can see the water boiling out of one end ,lol This is my workshop with concrete floor ,would not try this in the house .View attachment 463742 View attachment 463743
just heat the house with the torch & avoid the creasote lol

If it's just a little rain on it, bring a few days worth inside & set it by the stove. It dries out pretty quick.
Define a little rain ? We have had several days with 3 inches per day lately ,the wood is soaked in about 3/4 inch or so ,if i resplit it it burns better though when get to the dry part .

3"/day is not a "little" rain, at least around here. It's a LOT! With that much of a soaking, then yes, I'm sure it soaked in... As others have said though, if you can bring in some next to the stove, it will dry out fairly quickly(at least it would next to my stove).

3"/day is not a "little" rain, at least around here. It's a LOT! With that much of a soaking, then yes, I'm sure it soaked in... As others have said though, if you can bring in some next to the stove, it will dry out fairly quickly(at least it would next to my stove).
I brought a wheelbarrow full in next to the stove ,i only burn a couple hours at night working in the shop ,so by the time i burn it all i doubt it will be dry ,the one split seems to be enough with the x-25 to get to the dry part enough to get it to burn .Needs the torch or a half a quart of used engine oil to get it to take off though .

I've been experimenting with small amounts of that oily dust you get when cleaning the saw. about a table spoonful wrapped in a paper towel burns like a hot candle and seems to get things going.

Need heat and low humidity.

Now that I've stated the obvious, there is one solution my Grandfather, (God rest his soul), used when he had to burn wet or green. Please note, I'm just passing this along, I have never tried it though I bring all my wood in 2 days in advance and place it next to the stove prior to burning.

He took 2 steel cooling racks from Gramma's supply of baking utensils and placed them on top of his stove while running. He then placed 4 to 6 pieces of wet / damp / green wood on the racks. When it was time to stoke the fire, he took the pieces off the racks on the stove, placed them in the firebox, and refilled the baking racks on top of the stove. He always kept a fire going 24/7 and was around all day so he never was far if trouble, though it never occurred, developed.

Possible solution, don't know. Up to you if you wish to try.

Take Care

That wood should be perfectly fine. Don't you know it won't dry out if covered up....ever? Nope, no problems, it's gotta be dry if it was not covered....:laugh:

Thanks for reminding me to replace the metal roofing on my next year's wood. It was blown off whilst I was in Collyfonia. It is looking a bit damper than when I left.

Back