Getting wet firewood to burn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
burning is the easy part (for me)...the hardest part is topping them then cutting them down and loaded in the truck before the po po shows up:crazy2: im nice about it though...I only cut every other pole so no one looses power:innocent:

That's a great idea. I aught to try that.

I did find that pulling every other railroad tie also works well.

I wonder if stacking bark side up would have prevented this ? Seems like the bark would be a little roof almost .

I wonder if stacking bark side up would have prevented this ? Seems like the bark would be a little roof almost .
If it's gotta sit outside uncovered, I've always been told barkside up, least for the pieces/splits that retain bark. Sometimes by virtue of the 'pie' shaped split, that can be difficult to do, instead having to stack on one of the flatter sides.

If it's gotta sit outside uncovered, I've always been told barkside up, least for the pieces/splits that retain bark. Sometimes by virtue of the 'pie' shaped split, that can be difficult to do, instead having to stack on one of the flatter sides.

You can stack 'bark side up' even if he bark isn't there, just look at the end grain and position it with the 'curve' up. Does the same thing. Personally I don't pay much attention, just stack however it fits best.

Harry K

Lol..Well you got the pun anyways.
Rides? I believe i've heard of it. Too Old school, can you bring it back to last quarter of the 20th Century.
It is a better name as it rides on wood & controles movement.
It was probably a confusion thing in the end as half the people would confuse the drives as rides.
I got a feeling about this one..don't ask me how..I just do. Ha Ha
History lessons are always welcome.

Thnx
You lost me ,this is about firewood

How much more is the 661 heated over the 461?

I think about $200 more

I use the Husky helmet so I always have a screen over my face and usually sunglasses on too. I keep a pair of safety glasses by the grinder for when I use that.

Working under a rusty car is the worst, those pieces/flakes always find your eyes
What is a rusty car ?

I prefer the moon shoes:laughing::laughing:

Those look like fun

So if a guy switches from 50/1 to 32/1, when I retune, am I looking to go richer or leaner ?

Yes you will

Need heat and low humidity.

Now that I've stated the obvious, there is one solution my Grandfather, (God rest his soul), used when he had to burn wet or green. Please note, I'm just passing this along, I have never tried it though I bring all my wood in 2 days in advance and place it next to the stove prior to burning.

He took 2 steel cooling racks from Gramma's supply of baking utensils and placed them on top of his stove while running. He then placed 4 to 6 pieces of wet / damp / green wood on the racks. When it was time to stoke the fire, he took the pieces off the racks on the stove, placed them in the firebox, and refilled the baking racks on top of the stove. He always kept a fire going 24/7 and was around all day so he never was far if trouble, though it never occurred, developed.

Possible solution, don't know. Up to you if you wish to try.

Take Care

I did similar when I lived in maine. I had built a drying rack for meat and veggies over the stove, and it came in handy when I was stuck with fresh cut wood, when I wasn't far enough stockpiled in advance. Dried it out real quick. I admit I was paranoid about it at first but after doing it all winter, meh, it works, and never caught fire. After that I made an effort to really get ahead and also to take even more smalls from the tree, smalls light up and help get the other wood going. I burned pret near every single tiny twig from trees back then. That's when I learned, if I touch it, it gets stacked (somehow) Better to have too much junk wood than not enough *any* dry wood.

I also used to heat up bricks to stick down by my feet under the blankets, that worked great to keep from freezing out at night. Wrapped up good in a towel, toasty!

You are kidding, right?
I dry mine in my electric oven for 8 hours before burning it...it really helps:cheers:...my electric bill seems a little steep in the winter though? thinking I should get another oven...dry twice as much at once, that should be more efficient...right?

I bet a person could build a small kiln using a consumer grade dehumidifier or two.

I think at that point though may as well just heat with a few 1500w plug in heaters. I know the Nyle kiln we have at the shop runs $400-500 to run it for a month on lumber (about what it takes to dry out a load).

As far as wood being wet from rain, it should dry out in a day or two. My wood is all stacked outside, not covered, and I've never had a problem.

Latest posts

Back