Getting wet firewood to burn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
burning is the easy part (for me)...the hardest part is topping them then cutting them down and loaded in the truck before the po po shows up:crazy2: im nice about it though...I only cut every other pole so no one looses power:innocent:
So your the one responsible for my kids Iron Lung losing power.

couple shots of coal oil or diesel mixed with some used oil can be used to get it going.

Setting a couple sticks on top of the stove does help actually ,seems like a chance it would catch on fire if forgot about them though

Setting a couple sticks on top of the stove does help actually ,seems like a chance it would catch on fire if forgot about them though
Yeah, if'n you're a drinker I wouldn't recommend it, In fact I don.t recommend it to anybody....
who would remember Ms O'Leary
But my furnace is rather large and I can fit about 10 pieces ontop the ol' Clayton, and I've done that.

This might be a dumbass question/scenario that I'm getting at...you started by showing your stove in the shop and stated 'don't do this same thing burning wet wood in the living quarters.' I certainly understand that smoke deal. Do you have a Mig welder or stick welder?...build racks for your wood, space permitting to loiter either side, several inches away from, the shop firebox? Nothing more than 1-2" angle would suffice, sheet of 1/2"-13 expanded metal...build it right with bracing, stiff legs, be all you'd need to keep many splits of wood dry and ready to rock n roll for the home. Under shop roof and the radiant heat from the shop firebox, if and when it's cookin, will guarantee good wood for the home. Just gotta do the replenishment/rotation thing when things get wet and nasty outside.

preheated wood burns better.
pre burned is even better...I burn all my wood in the fire pit outside then shovel the coals/ash into my stove, get like a 1/2 hour burn time:rock::rock::rock::rock::drinking:

I have really done this quite a few times though...to get a fire going, also shoveled coals out of 1 stove that was already going and put them in my other stove to get that going when the temps drop below 0...a lot faster than paper/kindling:yes:

pre burned is even better...I burn all my wood in the fire pit outside then shovel the coals/ash into my stove, get like a 1/2 hour burn time:rock::rock::rock::rock::drinking:

I have really done this quite a few times though...to get a fire going, also shoveled coals out of 1 stove that was already going and put them in my other stove to get that going when the temps drop below 0...a lot faster than paper/kindling:yes:
two stoves! is you're house that drafty?

when it gets below freezing i switch to coal in the shop it is easier to light than wet wood.
and put out way more heat than the sizzling wet stuff.

two stoves! is you're house that drafty?
my living room is a big addition to the main house with a cathedral ceiling...theres only a doorway into it so it doesn't heat real well with the stove in the main part of the house, I light the stove in there when it gets below 0...I keep a fan in the doorway but it don't do much when the temp gets that low...

my living room is a big addition to the main house with a cathedral ceiling...theres only a doorway into it so it doesn't heat real well with the stove in the main part of the house, I light the stove in there when it gets below 0...I keep a fan in the doorway but it don't do much when the temp gets that low...
have you tried closing the room off when the room is not needed i close off the rooms in my house when it gets bitter outside and it improves greatly.

have you tried closing the room off when the room is not needed i close off the rooms in my house when it gets bitter outside and it improves greatly.
nope...and don't want to...if I wanted cold rooms and empty pockets id burn oil:yes:
the fan in the doorway keeps the room within 2 degrees of the rest of the house 99% of the time, but when the temp is below 0 it is quite a more than 2 degree difference, so then we light up the stove in there...its a "little moe" Allnighter
steel stove with firebrick, a small fire will heat that room no problem and after its out the thermal mass of the stove keeps the room warm long after the fire is out...
its not big deal to start it, I take a shovel full of coals out of the stove in the main part of the house and put it in the living room stove and throw a couple split on it...done, I probably burn less than a 1/4 cord in that stove each winter, so I don't even notice it.

the main part of the house is very east to heat... the 1st floor is mostly open except for the bathroom, the chimneys run right through the center of the house, which is also where the stove is located... the stairs are in the back of the house and the heat travels right up the stairway and into the bedrooms...they are around 5 degrees cooler than the downstairs, which is fine, we usually have the window open in our room as we like it around 60 to sleep...the rest of the house we like to keep at 70-75 or so...burn around 6-7 cord every winter, that's burning 24/7...it only goes out when I clean the chimney 2 times during the burning season or if the temp is above 40...

i keep a small fire when the temps outside are below 50 because of my RA and poor circulation in my feet and ankles ( working injured and being broken a few times did it ) i try to keep the house at 70 - 75 degrees and it is hard when it dips below freezing because of the tall ceilings in my house and the odd layout to keep the house evenly heated.
I did mix coal with my wood the last 2 winters to keep the house decent if not i might have froze to death.

Back