Getting wet firewood to burn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I look for old cedar fencing that is for free on CL. Last year we ran out of wood, I bought a green cord to get us through March. My wife learned to lay in a layer of cut up cedar before each reload.

Is Port Angeles in the rain shadow like Sequim? I'm not seeing any mushrooms sprouting.

That is an interesting question, and one whose answer certainly has a major impact on the weather in Port Angeles. To answer this we need to look at how much rainfall and sunshine Port Angeles receives and compare that to locations we know are in the rain shadow and locations we know are not. It is also important to look at seasonality, as the rain shadow typically forms during the winter and spring months.

quote off googgle

In terms of precipitation, Port Angeles receives 25.57” of precipitation on average, compared to 35.86” in Seattle , and 16.51” in Sequim.1 Despite the large difference in precipitation, our sunshine results surprised us, indicating that Port Angeles has a climate that is quite similar to Sequim’s, is dramatically brighter than Seattle’s, and is definitely in the Olympic Rain Shadow! Here are the annual sunshine totals. 2

Annual Totals: October 2010-September 2011

portangelessunshine.jpg

The table above shows that during the study period, Port Angeles exceeded Seattle in number of bright sunny days by 45 % (128 vs. 88), and had 21 % fewer cloudy or dreary days (126 vs. 160). In terms of total recorded solar insolation, Port Angeles exceeded Seattle by 12%. Clearly Port Angeles is dramatically brighter than Seattle and on an annual basis has nearly the same sunny days as Sequim. For a better understanding of the situation, let’s look at some seasonal totals.

This might be a dumbass question/scenario that I'm getting at...you started by showing your stove in the shop and stated 'don't do this same thing burning wet wood in the living quarters.' I certainly understand that smoke deal. Do you have a Mig welder or stick welder?...build racks for your wood, space permitting to loiter either side, several inches away from, the shop firebox? Nothing more than 1-2" angle would suffice, sheet of 1/2"-13 expanded metal...build it right with bracing, stiff legs, be all you'd need to keep many splits of wood dry and ready to rock n roll for the home. Under shop roof and the radiant heat from the shop firebox, if and when it's cookin, will guarantee good wood for the home. Just gotta do the replenishment/rotation thing when things get wet and nasty outside.

Normally i have dry wood ,i am not always a dumbazz and wait for the pile in the rain ,i think i should move the pile under the eves of the shop to redry i think .

my living room is a big addition to the main house with a cathedral ceiling...theres only a doorway into it so it doesn't heat real well with the stove in the main part of the house, I light the stove in there when it gets below 0...I keep a fan in the doorway but it don't do much when the temp gets that low...
Sounds like my house layout ,have a living room addition off the main house with tall ceilings .

nope...and don't want to...if I wanted cold rooms and empty pockets id burn oil:yes:
the fan in the doorway keeps the room within 2 degrees of the rest of the house 99% of the time, but when the temp is below 0 it is quite a more than 2 degree difference, so then we light up the stove in there...its a "little moe" Allnighter
steel stove with firebrick, a small fire will heat that room no problem and after its out the thermal mass of the stove keeps the room warm long after the fire is out...
its not big deal to start it, I take a shovel full of coals out of the stove in the main part of the house and put it in the living room stove and throw a couple split on it...done, I probably burn less than a 1/4 cord in that stove each winter, so I don't even notice it.

the main part of the house is very east to heat... the 1st floor is mostly open except for the bathroom, the chimneys run right through the center of the house, which is also where the stove is located... the stairs are in the back of the house and the heat travels right up the stairway and into the bedrooms...they are around 5 degrees cooler than the downstairs, which is fine, we usually have the window open in our room as we like it around 60 to sleep...the rest of the house we like to keep at 70-75 or so...burn around 6-7 cord every winter, that's burning 24/7...it only goes out when I clean the chimney 2 times during the burning season or if the temp is above 40...
Glad i have the electric heat pump put in while i built the house ,never have had it as cold as zero though ,low 20's high teens at the worst here .

Now that might be available around Port Angeles in May or June. Port Angeles is a place I plan to visit one of these days. I have only been as far as Port Townsend.
Be careful ,if you visit the park ,you may want to move here .

That is an interesting question, and one whose answer certainly has a major impact on the weather in Port Angeles. To answer this we need to look at how much rainfall and sunshine Port Angeles receives and compare that to locations we know are in the rain shadow and locations we know are not. It is also important to look at seasonality, as the rain shadow typically forms during the winter and spring months.

quote off googgle

In terms of precipitation, Port Angeles receives 25.57” of precipitation on average, compared to 35.86” in Seattle , and 16.51” in Sequim.1 Despite the large difference in precipitation, our sunshine results surprised us, indicating that Port Angeles has a climate that is quite similar to Sequim’s, is dramatically brighter than Seattle’s, and is definitely in the Olympic Rain Shadow! Here are the annual sunshine totals. 2

Annual Totals: October 2010-September 2011

portangelessunshine.jpg

The table above shows that during the study period, Port Angeles exceeded Seattle in number of bright sunny days by 45 % (128 vs. 88), and had 21 % fewer cloudy or dreary days (126 vs. 160). In terms of total recorded solar insolation, Port Angeles exceeded Seattle by 12%. Clearly Port Angeles is dramatically brighter than Seattle and on an annual basis has nearly the same sunny days as Sequim. For a better understanding of the situation, let’s look at some seasonal totals.

Normally i have dry wood ,i am not always a dumbazz and wait for the pile in the rain ,i think i should move the pile under the eves of the shop to redry i think .

Sounds like my house layout ,have a living room addition off the main house with tall ceilings .

Glad i have the electric heat pump put in while i built the house ,never have had it as cold as zero though ,low 20's high teens at the worst here .

Be careful ,if you visit the park ,you may want to move here .
Yes, move the wood for better wet protection. Be mindful of the heat pump and associatedtwo to four 5Kw heat strips if they energize...usually thermostats are set on a 3 deg differential, you can change/program the differential, just like you can the defrost timer for the condenser unit outside (physical change outside on the defrost timer). When they energize to help make up the difference to the setpoint/target temp on the T-stat, your next power bill will show you to 'get the wood dried' theory. My power bill last month was $86 bucks. Be the same this month...if not less. Our climates are different, sure, but I ain't paying those rip-off SOB's no more than I have to.

just a FYI for all you "alternative fuel" burners out there...:cheers:
seems helpful to avoid wrecking a chain when cutting those things up...damn nails from every asshat having a yardsale:buttkick:

Back