Going for an edible garden

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judith5

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, recently, we moved to a new home. I love gardening and I miss my fav lily garden I had in my old house. This time I have a plan to go for an edible garden since I have a wide backyard. When I searched for some options for choosing an item I saw this blog. [ http://inthebackyard.ca/9-healthy-foods-to-grow-in-your-backyard/ ]. My husband and kids are opting for blueberries. Since I’m a novice in edible gardening, I would like to get your suggestions on growing blueberries. I read that it has some medicinal properties too. Is it ideal to grow blueberries in our Canadian climate? We checked for the acidity of the soil and found that it is lower and is not enough for growing blueberries. What are the other things I must look into? Expecting replies with tips and suggestions. Thank you.

Hi all, recently, we moved to a new home. I love gardening and I miss my fav lily garden I had in my old house. This time I have a plan to go for an edible garden since I have a wide backyard. When I searched for some options for choosing an item I saw this blog. [ http://inthebackyard.ca/9-healthy-foods-to-grow-in-your-backyard/ ]. My husband and kids are opting for blueberries. Since I’m a novice in edible gardening, I would like to get your suggestions on growing blueberries. I read that it has some medicinal properties too. Is it ideal to grow blueberries in our Canadian climate? We checked for the acidity of the soil and found that it is lower and is not enough for growing blueberries. What are the other things I must look into? Expecting replies with tips and suggestions. Thank you.

I'm thinking about putting out some blueberry bushes this year, except I'm down south, sorta at the edge of the range of blueberries. They prefer cooler weather and like very acidic soil. My last attempt at growing them ended in failure, they didn't make it through a very hot and dry summer some years ago. I neglected to water them enough.

Sure limiting your options by just planting one thing< why not grow a variety that you can enjoy through you'r summer (allbeit short) that is the true joy of gardening!!

Back