Going to DIY an hydraulic splitter...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butter_Beard

"All probability is greater than zero."
Reaction score
I've yet to search out any heavy equipment scrap yards, or even know if any exist yet ( I live in Detroit itself ), but shy of that, does anyone know the best place I could get a 4" bore or better used or surplus cylinder with a 19" stroke minimum, for under $100 including shipping?

And while you're at it, I would also like the regs on a unicorn that farts marshmallow candies and sings show tunes. :)

Check with the city. When I built mine I got my cylinder from the township road dept. It came off an old snow wing that was on a dump truck. . Someone had hit something with it and bent everything pretty good so they just replaced the whole thing and had this laying in a pile outback. Got it for a 12 pack from the guy working there.

try surpluscenter.com
Prince used to have a surplus outlet on-line, but no longer.

I like scrounging the scrap yards. Scrounging isnt as good now as it used to be when scrap prices where pretty high. I have bought good pumps for $2. Valve bodies for pennies on the dollar, and have a pile of oddball cylinders for next to nothing. You can build a very nice splitter really cheap as long as you know what to look for. Not knowing what to look for can cost you some change if you pick a part and then find out it wont do what you bought it for too. Scrap yards its no returns unless your reselling it for scrap, then they are happy to buy it back from you for a lot less than you paid them for it.

I'm an auction sale guy but most of the important stuff for my splitter came from Princess Auto. Only used stuff was the steel beam, rest of the steel and the trailer I mounted it on. Cylinder, hoses, fittings, valves filter etc all bought new, most on sale though. Just was going to take too long to source what I wanted to have on mine. Since I have finished building it thought I have found most of the stuff I needed in my barn and sheds that I collected over the years.

Latest posts

Back