gonna be cutting, splitting, and bucking for a long time now.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckwood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 06.jpg 08.jpg We had a really bad storm here yesterday, and this morning I went out to survey the damage at my place. This is going to be lots of fun. For some reason, the trees all decided to mostly come down on the road into the woodlot. I've got lots of interesting challenges, big rootballs, a nice hickory springpole, a huge trunk up in the air at the base, etc. I've not gone down in the woods yet to check, there's probably more down in there.

View attachment 522030 View attachment 522031 View attachment 522032 View attachment 522033 View attachment 522034 View attachment 522035 We had a really bad storm here yesterday, and this morning I went out to survey the damage at my place. This is going to be lots of fun. For some reason, the trees all decided to mostly come down on the road into the woodlot. I've got lots of interesting challenges, big rootballs, a nice hickory springpole, a huge trunk up in the air at the base, etc. I've not gone down in the woods yet to check, there's probably more down in there.

looks like a lot of places to get hurt. Be careful1

I sure would be if I had to cut all this stuff up in 90 degree + heat and humidity. Fortunately I've got the option to wait till it gets cooler. The only thing I don't like about this is having my road access cut off.
I have the same problem. After a big storm, I always seem to have a couple of trees across my driveway, which is 3/4 mile of old logging road. I load up the saws in the bucket of the tractor and get busy. I only cut and move enough to open the road. The rest can wait until it cools off a bit.

I sure would be if I had to cut all this stuff up in 90 degree + heat and humidity. Fortunately I've got the option to wait till it gets cooler. The only thing I don't like about this is having my road access cut off.

Went through a hot period out here (back to normal mid 80s now). I worked through it by starting early and quitting about 11. Makes a short work period but at my age, short work periods are all I do anyhow :D. I carry 3 bottles of frozen water, by the time the heat hits (9:30 ish) they are about 1/4 thawed and sips of ice water really hit the spot.

Could use a storm like that in the neighborhood. I've about cleaned up everything close.

firewood scroungers and tree companies are going to do *very* well here for a while. Our town was mostly without power yesterday. Here's some pics of the damage I got off facebook. It wasn't a tornado but straight in winds like a derecho I believe it's called. I'd left my kitchen window open that was directly in the path of the wind direction. The screens blew out and it blew stuff off the kitchen table - had water on the floor and broken stuff to clean up. s.jpg s3.jpg s4.jpg

Yikes!

We had a bad derecho here this year and a really bad one in 1999 (Google July 4th storm of 1999). It's amazing what an angry ma nature can do.

Glad you can wait until cooler weather. Not sure how far you are from me if you need help. Ron

Thanks for the offer! I'm in Blount County. I usually go very slowly with these blowdowns, try to figure everything out until I start cutting, especially when I've got a trunk up in the air. When I'm not sure what the tree is going to do I use a polesaw so I've got some distance from something that moves in the wrong direction. I enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to cut these things up safely.

I have no trees bear my house mostly for that reason. We get 80-100mph winds every winter and it's very common for trees to topple over as well as stuff to blow around. Ever see a dumpster flying across a parking lot?

Thanks for the offer! I'm in Blount County. I usually go very slowly with these blowdowns, try to figure everything out until I start cutting. .... I enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to cut these things up safely.

You sound a lot like me, except for the pole saw part. Be safe and have fun. Ron

Thanks for the offer! I'm in Blount County. I usually go very slowly with these blowdowns, try to figure everything out until I start cutting, especially when I've got a trunk up in the air. When I'm not sure what the tree is going to do I use a polesaw so I've got some distance from something that moves in the wrong direction. I enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to cut these things up safely.
Brings you back to your childhood when you played Pic-up-sticks:cheers:Stay safe

Is a dereecho the same as a down burst? We had one around here that took down a lot of trees and left us without power for over twelve hours.

I have had to cleanup behind a few tornado over the years. Probably the most dangerous chainsaw work you can ever do. trees twisted, some up rooted, and a lot just bent over from bigger trees falling on them. I have always kept a long cable to do this type of work. Anything that I can pull on down or off top of something bent and twisted, I just hook to the truck and yank. It takes time to do it that way, but it beats the heck out of getting slapped by a big limb that was under pressure. Polesaws are your friend for this type of work. Take your time and besafe

Back