gonna try selling firewood this year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
apparently I need to write every detail out with crayons.

Now that's funny ****! I got a guy here at my day job that probably wouldn't work for cause I don't think he can understand crayons either! Only seems to be able to understand when you scream at him and I just don't have it in me anymore for that. Boss gets P.O.'d at me then when **** happens.

Start a waiting list. Least that's what I do. I'm delivering November orders right now.

I just don't get many request for delivery. I do have one BBQ restaurant I deliver to, but they are regulars and have been with me for many years.
If I do start delivering again, it will be with a dump trailer where I can just collect my money and dump and go.

I just don't get many request for delivery. I do have one BBQ restaurant I deliver to, but they are regulars and have been with me for many years.
If I do start delivering again, it will be with a dump trailer where I can just collect my money and dump and go.

Or a dump bed on a F450 is better. Can get into yards easier. 10k rated dump trailera here run 10-14k, I paid 3k each for both my f450s, $1700 for each dump hoist, and maybe I'll have $1500-2k in each dump bed.
Plus I have a truck. Dump trailer needs a 3/4-1 ton.

My little 8' dump is rated 5000 pounds and was $3500 about ten years ago. Super handy little trailer. The OP said he only had a half ton pickup, so like you said, he needs a bigger truck. I only sell 3 or 4 cord a year to a couple friends. Just to make enough to pay for my hunting and fishing trips. Funny, the OP hasn't responded? Joe.

Sometimes less is more when starting in the FW business. Stay small and keep it all.
Its easy to do 100 crd/yr with nothing more than a saw, p/u, atv and trailer and a close source of wood.
You can get into more bushes with an atv than you can with a great big lumbering log skidder.
what gypo said. listen to this to start with.

hey sb47, when uuyou cut for smoking what do you do as far as bar oil for your saw, or do you just not worry about it. thanks.

hey sb47, when uuyou cut for smoking what do you do as far as bar oil for your saw, or do you just not worry about it. thanks.

A lot of folks on here may cringe but I use what ever used motor oil I can find. Yep, used motor oil.
The cheapest bar oil I can find is almost 10 bucks a gallon. Motor oil cost about the same, maybe a little more depending on brand and type.
As far as wear goes, I have not noticed any difference between the two. Chain and bar last just as long.
Oil evaporates over time and there is so little oil getting on the wood, so I don't worry about it. By the time it seasons the oil is gone.

Or a dump bed on a F450 is better. Can get into yards easier. 10k rated dump trailera here run 10-14k, I paid 3k each for both my f450s, $1700 for each dump hoist, and maybe I'll have $1500-2k in each dump bed.
Plus I have a truck. Dump trailer needs a 3/4-1 ton.

I'm limited with a half ton truck, 5000lb dump beds can be found for around 4 grand, give or take.
A cord of dry oak is around 4800/5500 lbs. I would only be able to deliver one cord at a time.
This year I got a total of 5 calls for delivery, and several found a way to come get it.
Not worth spending 5 grand on a dump trailer.

My advantage is I live in the burbs and most stop by on there way home from work. There not driving very far out of there way.
Now if I lived in a rural area and folks had to make a special trip, things may be different.

A lot of folks on here may cringe but I use what ever used motor oil I can find. Yep, used motor oil.
The cheapest bar oil I can find is almost 10 bucks a gallon. Motor oil cost about the same, maybe a little more depending on brand and type.
As far as wear goes, I have not noticed any difference between the two. Chain and bar last just as long.
Oil evaporates over time and there is so little oil getting on the wood, so I don't worry about it. By the time it seasons the oil is gone.
Yes, I'm one who will cringe. I'm not worried about the oil getting in the wood but I am concerned about it on the ground and getting into the water supply.

My little 8' dump is rated 5000 pounds and was $3500 about ten years ago. Super handy little trailer. The OP said he only had a half ton pickup, so like you said, he needs a bigger truck. I only sell 3 or 4 cord a year to a couple friends. Just to make enough to pay for my hunting and fishing trips. Funny, the OP hasn't responded? Joe.

I do on average 10-15 cords a week. My trucks are very important.

Every saw I've had come in "won't oil" or so nasty it about needed a hammer and chisel to clean had used oil.

Yes, I'm one who will cringe. I'm not worried about the oil getting in the wood but I am concerned about it on the ground and getting into the water supply.

I live next to a 500 acre land fill and your worried about oil contamination? Let's see, 300+ million people in the states driving millions of cars that drip and burn oil all day long stretching from coast to coast. Yeah my little saw is going to hurt anything. Besides whats the difference between used oil and non used oil?
Oil naturally evaporates. Oil is a natural mineral produced by mother earth. And oil is oil, whats different from one oil to the next?

My brother has been using used motor oil in his Dolmar farm saw since he and I bought it at a trade show in 1984

We cut up a fallen tree with it at Christmas - amazed by how little difference there is between that thing and my 372XP

My brother has been using used motor oil in his Dolmar farm saw since he and I bought it at a trade show in 1984

We cut up a fallen tree with it at Christmas - amazed by how little difference there is between that thing and my 372XP

Yep, Lets do some math.
My most expensive saw cost me just over 600 dollars.
I use at least 20 or more gallons of bar oil per year at lets just round it off at 10 dollars a gallon.
That's a minimum of 200 dollars times 10 plus years.
That equals over $2,000 in savings.
I can buy 3 or 4 saws for that kinda cash.
Besides, it's called recycling.

Yep, Lets do some math.
My most expensive saw cost me just over 600 dollars.
I use at least 20 or more gallons of bar oil per year at lets just round it off at 10 dollars a gallon.
That's a minimum of 200 dollars times 10 plus years.
That equals over $2,000 in savings.
I can buy 3 or 4 saws for that kinda cash.
Besides, it's called recycling.

I might use 4-5 gallons a year, don't run chainsaw a whole lot (have a feller buncher, delimber and firewood processor) About $9/gal here at Walmart.

Back