Good commercial woodsplitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor97

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good commercial woodsplitter that is capable of splitting big rounds in one crunch? I'm getting older and don't want to handle the wood any more than I have to. My splits have to be on the small side(3" or less) and I don't want to have to run the splitter more than one pass per round. Therefore it has to have automatic return, the ability to make many splits in one pass(maybe a 8 or 10), log lift, and plenty of hydraulic power. My back has been giving me fits and I don't want to give up my wood. I have a supersplit and it is wonderful, but would like to find something a little more back friendly. Hopefully 10k or less.

Eastonmade makes some pretty solid splitters with an appealing price tag.

8-10 splits in one pass, not for under 10K, it won't happen. Not for a quality machine it won't.

I haven't seen an 8 way or more on just a splitter, just on processors, and even then only on the bigger ones. Many just have a 4 or 6 way knife.

The Multitek the Better Burn guys have is in the 150k area, it's the biggest processor made that I know of. 10k would buy a really small processor, but 30-50k will buy something that can do decent sized logs and hold up to commercial use.

If you have a bad back, I'd suggest a processor if doing firewood is beyond just 10-20 cords a year type thing. That was a reason I invested in one.

I'm a one man operation and did about 150 face cords last year. I used to get all my wood off federal land (military base) with a permit but was busy delivering all fall so I didn't get at it. So I have bought 4 wood truck loads and have no problem with the cutting(the fun part). I have a tractor so I can pick up the big rounds, and I think if I do use a 4 or 6 way splitter head that will be alright as I will pile the splits and when I load them to stack, I can then resplit anything that needs it. My 62 year old body has always been able to do it all, but lately has started complaining when I lift too many big ones. I really don't see how a processor would help me as it only is an advantage in loading the log to process. My tractor is small and probably won't lift anything of size. I think a commercial splitter is the only way to improve, but would love to hear any ideas for simplifying. This is a great forum and thanks for the help.

TW-6: I did not buy the six-way wedge based on what I read on ArboristSite. Most said they did not use their six-way do to jamming, except in very straight grained wood. It is also a six hundred dollar plus option. The TW-6 is impressive to use, but getting wood to it is a lot of back work without additional support equipment.
EDIT: We must have been typing at the same time.

I would strongly recommend a liftable four-way wedge for resplitting, and modified into a shelf wedge if you go with a wedge on beam splitter.
Lots of choices. Dual action splitters... but then you have to throw each piece when split. Works great with a tractor bucket for splits. Same with horizontal, wedge on cylinder rod. Pushing stuff threw a wedge on beam, puts it on the ground and makes resplitting more difficult. Outfeed tables help somewhat but still a pain lifting large pieces around the four-way wings. That's what led me to modify the four-way on my TW. I also work off the log lift side so I'm not walking around the machine to load the log lift each time. Not all machines have room to do that with their log lift. The notion being they are two man machines.
Maybe rent something or try someone elses before committing to buying a certain style.

Check out the Eastonmade splitters on YouTube. Impressive looking machines. Thinking about pulling the trigger on the one with the 8 way. Think there is a 12 way in the making. And yes these are splitters not processors

I have never seen an Eastonmade splitter.
From the YouTube videos it looks to have a better designed wedge than Timberwolf's with the cylinder below a narrow wedge, rather than Timberwolf's fat wedge with the four-way lift cylinder behind it.
I would like to run one and get a feel for it.
Same here. I haven't found any videos or testimonies from anyone but Easton.

For that price point the only machine that can do your end result is a vertical splitter. There would be multiple passes but not like on a horizontal splitter. Timber Devil or the like. I would use a round staging wagon and load it with your tractor to save back work.

They're pretty damn proud of their machines, at least their price tag reflects it. I was told the little tow behind unit was $8500 USD.

The is a used PowerSplit on CraigsList: Grand Rapids, MI under log splitters for $14,000.

Thats a good price for a used double split. Doesn't look to beat up. Looks to be an older model. Can't buy a new single with elevator for that price. If we hadn't just bought our forklift I would be all over that.

Back