Good enough for Government Work!! How to get State,County,Municipal jobs??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glov3r

Indian name: FALLSFRUMTREES
Reaction score
I would love to get some of the County and Municipal work in my area. Who has experience with getting this work? I know sometimes the bidding is posted in the newspaper, however I seldom scan the classifieds! Is there a way to get on a list to bid on the work?? I see tree services from out of state working along the county roads, and clearing for the municipalities. I am going into the engineers office this week to see about bidding on work.

Get connected- go to forestry council/ chapter isa/ local isa group meetings. Become a member- pay money. Bribe people with tickets to sporting events and donations for silent auctions. Bid on a few jobs and see how cheap they are going for, then decide if you really want that kind of work.

Most of any local government work, be it city/county/state (at least here in Alabama) goes to the low bidder. All work/contracts must be advertised that are going out to bid. Most around here have a pre-bid meeting to address expectations and any questions by the bidder.

All of our work for the gov is matter of public record. This includes what the contract bid amount was, length of contract, etc.

Hop on your city/county web site and look for contract/contractor announcements. That's generally where the info we use is located.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Hand shake with right people. Find them.
1a. Go (not call) to the Town Hall and ask who is responsible for roads management (DPW usually), also ask "Parks and Recs". Go (not call) hand shake. Do not dress like a homeless. Shirt with collar - is MUST. Insurance binder in hand. List and photos of your equipment in hand. 2 minute speech ready - try on your wife, friends.
1b. Go to State patrol shed ( where road trucks are). Find foreman. Introduce your self. Ask to introduce you to State District manager.
1c. Go to State turnpike patrol shed. do the same.
I don't think is wise try to jump against clearing companies, unless you are one of them.

2. Find the prices. It is public record/knowledge. Be on middle. Do NOT be the lowest bidder.
3. All this government employees are more worry about to do job on Q, then price. Each storm call and say you are ready to help if they need.

For example:
2005 my Town run bidding. 3 workers + chipper + Bucket truck.
Company1 bid $260 per hour
Company2 bid $200 per hour
Company3 bid $175 per hour
I bid $250 4 workers + chipper with chip truck + bucket truck + ground machine.
So secretary choose Company3. OK. But my name, credentials were there. Next storm coming. I called to Road Agent before storm and stated "I am here to help you second you need me." During storm Road Agent called to Company3 and Company2. Whey were to buzy. Then he called me. I was there in 30 min.
2006 again bidding. I lost again. I called to solicit my services. I did few jobs again.
2007 same story
2008 granted me contract with out bidding. Since then I am THE guy.

I would love to get some of the County and Municipal work in my area. Who has experience with getting this work? I know sometimes the bidding is posted in the newspaper, however I seldom scan the classifieds! Is there a way to get on a list to bid on the work?? I see tree services from out of state working along the county roads, and clearing for the municipalities. I am going into the engineers office this week to see about bidding on work.

What kind of projects are you trying to get? Street trees? Road widening projects? Line clearance is done by out of state guys but I've never seen them do the City contracts. Could happen I guess.....

IF you are talking actual land clearing, that is typically included with the road work contract and you will become a sub of the construction co or excavator and not directly hired by the City or county. So you need to kiss their azz not the county lol

Honestly for what the bids go for lately its just as well to stick with residential work......................

Good luck

Im in the same process. Well, im trying to gain access to such contracts. Here is what I have done so far. Sign up on Dunn & Bradstreet. You need a DUNNS number to get govt contracts. Then I started the process with the SBA to become a certified Emerging Small Business. State and government agencies are required to award X amount of contracts to small or minority owned business's. Also this week im going to visit the Oregon DOT offices is my zone and try to get on a vendor list. Lots of tree work to be done along the roads here in the Willamette Valley.

Very good idea

State and government agencies are required to award X amount of contracts to small or minority owned business's

Claim that you are:
Homosexual midget Mexican women who were served in Afghanistan, Gold and Iran. Also you adopted 6 Vietnamese children from Africa who have life threatening disease. Also you lost legs and arms in Civil War.

Very good idea

Claim that you are:
Homosexual midget Mexican women who were served in Afghanistan, Gold and Iran. Also you adopted 6 Vietnamese children from Africa who have life threatening disease. Also you lost legs and arms in Civil War.

I don't know about all that noise! Im a white American, but my business fits into the requirements to be a emerging small biz. NOT going to get into politics and discussion about our gov providing opportunities to minority's. That's a big o can of worms there.

Back