Good oak for Maine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
veneer is a relative term, it make some sort of grade. that little bend wouldn't hurt it for my market, depends more what the wood looks like. if it was bigger and the wood is clear, it would export.

They will much sooner buy a big log with some sweep over a little one. Red oak is in the gutter rite now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You guys have much big red oak Mike or is it allot of soft maple and poplar?

thats what I mean that but log would of vennered few years ago but theres way to many good strieght red oak right now taking up the market .is what my buyers are telling me . hard maple is supposed to be going down here soon is what ive heard.

It's already slipped in central pa

You guys have much big red oak Mike or is it allot of soft maple and poplar?

yeah we have some. red oak seems to be in trouble here, but we have at least half a dozen sub species including northern and southern red oak. cherry bark and rock oak do the best money wise, but have to be on good ground to find those. white oak is where the money is here.

Clean soft/hard maple still better then oak, but prices are slipping I hear.

Colton how tall do yer oaks get? My tallest have been 66' to a 10" small end. Ash and basswood push 70' to 10". Not many of those tho. When I get in tall timber it averages 50' to the 10" end.

I'm on a tract now that has stupid tall timber. Quite often were getting 2 42 foot sticks of logs then pulp on top of that. I'd say average for around here would be about 80 feet of usable log. That's on nice timber, the boss doesn't like to cut junk. Having a boss like that is a double edged sword.

Its amazing what a couple extra months a year of growing will get I guess. Our trees leaf out mid to end of may and change color early to mid october.

no way that but logs veneering . the second log may low grade veneer but not right now with the red oak veneer price

Just noticed your comment. That butt cut was veneer here in Maine. Was 8'9 log that topped out at 17 inches. Payed $900 a thousand back then for veneer. Ur market must be diff

Latest posts

Back