Got my exercise for the winter lined up...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This should be a good two years worth of wood for me, more if I can get a more efficient stove next year:

2013-10-02_18-45-35_785.jpg

2013-10-03_08-28-14_328.jpg

Couldn't fill my oil tank for the $750 this cost me, and it frees up a lot of my time for working on projects I need to get caught up on around the house vs. being out in the woods dropping trees and dealing with the brush.

Looks like you got some cherry, maple and ash in there? Good looking pile of wood! Have fun!!

I get mine delivered like that now from a tree service that doesnt do firewood. I get mine free but never know when its coming till like a day in advance. It is so much nicer dealing with logs like this than draggin them out of the woods etc. They are cleaned up (no branches etc) I do have a tractor with a loader that makes it real easy to buck them up

Have fun !

Looks like you got some cherry, maple and ash in there? Good looking pile of wood! Have fun!!

I'll have to take some up close pics this weekend and let you guys go to town with the wood IDs :)

I get mine delivered like that now from a tree service that doesnt do firewood.

My mom's landlord does that, sometimes picking up the logs directly on site for them (he'll go over with a grapple equipped tractor and a couple pickups and heavy trailers). They have a nice firewood ring going up with 4 or 5 guys with an old processor and spend a couple days a year cutting and splitting it all up but in OWB instead of woodstove size. His OWB does his house and my mom's...my stepdad splits OWB tending duties with him.

Last edited:
When Im wrestling a 300 # log- I miss the days when working with a logging co and we just had to pay for fuel for loads like that-yep the good ole days:)))

That is one nice load of logs for sure.

I've been buying my wood by the log loads lately. I cut 30 miles from home and soon realized that I can cut and haul for the cost of my log wood that is dropped right next to my OWB.

i love the sight of a big pile of wood, just waiting for a chain saw....yep, think I'll do some cutting tomorrow...

This morning....

Fixed the truck brakes. Fixed the missing sway bar link. Knew the battery was shot. Discovered the alternator is shot, too. *sigh* So I'm still using the garden tractor till that gets resolved.
PA120675_small.jpg

Left over of last year's second delivery (I got two 2-1/2 cord dump truck loads from the same guy last year), plus a few left over uglies to noodle.
PA120677_small.jpg

You know, these flowers are just mocking me after I mowed down the rest of the garden and they're just as happy as can be.
PA120679_small.jpg

Really happy with my progress this morning -- healthiest I've felt in a long time so I worked steadily through (I also need to put another notch in my belt for the second time this year :) ). Got this far on one tank of gas.
PA120685_small.jpg

Refueled, finished up, now time to refuel myself. Chicken taco soup with a dollop of sour cream, pie, and a few tortilla chips.
PA120686_small.jpg

Got to make the dump run and some errands, I'll haul this stuff up to the house this afternoon -- tends to work out well to split there, if I don't have time this weekend I can peck away at it in the evenings or on days I'm working from the home office I'll go out and split for 10 minutes to stretch my legs.

Started picking my way through the pile on Sunday. It's VERY well stacked -- I considered asking a friend to come over with a tractor to tear it down for me, but decided its safe to work on. The next pair of logs though I'm a bit leery of and will likely chain/strap them down this weekend before I start cutting -- I just can't tell for sure how they're going to want to move.

I am going to have to pickup some more short wedges...since I really don't want surprises while working on the pile, I've been wedging more then I might if I was standing on the ground...and when the cut is complete I keep having wedges fall to the bottom of the pile. Kept a couple wedges in my left back pocket, kept a carpenter's ruler and piece of chalk in my right front pocket that I use to mark the logs before cutting. Cell phone was in my inside vest pocket :D . I need to find a sheath for the little Fiskar's hatchet so I can just carry it in a hammer loop instead of having to always plant it in a log as I'm working (I use it to tap in the wedges).

I was very happy working on this pile -- I know several years ago I would've really been struggling, and not that I'm the epitome of fitness now but I'm down about 50# over the last two years.

2013-11-03_11-12-05_55.jpg

2013-11-03_11-11-05_442.jpg

Was wearing the Stihl helmet...and cutting with the Husky...
2013-11-03_11-41-36_601.jpg

And by the data center where work's computers are there is a fencing company that has a free wood pile...this is the first of two loads of kindling I've been able to snag this year:
2013-10-30_13-23-22_961.jpg

Good wood and great kindling score!

Congrats on the exercise and getting closer to proper weight. I am the opposite, keep trying to gain some back to get to a more proper weight....eat like moose..nothing happens, I stay skinny.

Need to eat like two moose I guess....

Climbing on wood piles. HAHAHAHA I had a nice little wipeout last night, tarping over one stack I climbed up on. It avalanched and I rode it down, stayed upright, had to restack around 1/3rd cord....I think making 6-7 foot tall stacks..a bit too much I think....

Yep, feel 'tarded now, but seemed a fun thing to do last night....I like climbing goofy stuff, always have.

I like it, but I've always had the habit of lifting logs up off the ground whenever I can to cut them instead of cutting one side then rolling the whole log and completing the cuts.

Can't say enough about how much I like the Logrite product.

Back