Got my new "carb kit" for the 550xp. I have questions re the new fuel line that comes with it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
As can be seen in the first pic, I'm pointing to the new carb, and more specifically, the fuel intake which, is angled down instead of straight out like the original carb on the left. Then, if you look at the area I'm pointing at in the second pic...the little slot the original fuel line sits in......and lastly, notice the diagram where it indicates cutting 26mm off the new fuel line.

Well, I assume, due to the different angle on the new carb, that the new hose does not go in the slot I'm pointing at in the second pic...but rather under it. I also assume that's why the illustration indicates cutting 26mm off the new fuel line as it would be too long otherwise.

Are those assumptions correct?

Also, what's special about the new fuel line? Why wouldn't Husqvarna just instruct the installer to cut some off the existing line?

Lastly, is there any trick to removing the existing fuel line?

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN4788.JPG
    DSCN4788.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 99
  • DSCN4789.JPG
    DSCN4789.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 106
  • DSCN4792.JPG
    DSCN4792.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
Does the fuel line simply pull out....or is there something else that needs to be done?

To save myself some grief and time, I just used the fuel line that was already in the saw and cut the end off so it would fit with the new carb. It appears to me that the illustration/directions, that show to cut off the fuel line, was meant for the fuel line already in the saw. However, Husqvarna placed the new and shorter fuel line in the box and failed to remove the instructions to cut off old. If I wasn't paying attention, I would have cut the new fuel and it would have been too short. Thanks, Husqvarna! :wtf:

My only concern would be the fact that now you lost the connection part on the inlet tube and the hose now only has approx 3 contact points on it after you cut it? Will it leak or will it start pulling some air in, would be my concern. I think I would go with the new fuel line and have it right and not have to find out later it didnt work right. Its apart, do it now.

Thank you, jr27236. I'm not 100% sure I understand the 3 contact points you refer to. However, because the angle of the fuel intake on the carb is different on the new carb, I don't think the fuel line can be run the same as it was with the early carb. It can not run through the area where my finger is pointing in that second pic. With the new angle, the line has to run under in order to prevent kinking. Hope that makes sense.

What was wrong with the old carb? And what problems are the changes in the new carb supposed to address?

Any updates? I'm waiting for an AT12 carb kit for mine.

Sorry. Not yet. The carb requires programming with firmware I do not have...so it's at the dealer. I'll be gone all next week but hope to have it back by the weekend to try it. If I do, I'll post here the results. Fingers crossed.............

Sorry. Not yet. The carb requires programming with firmware I do not have...so it's at the dealer. I'll be gone all next week but hope to have it back by the weekend to try it. If I do, I'll post here the results. Fingers crossed.............
Anything yet??

What i was referring to is that on the hose you have the solid rubber connection where it goes on the carb stem for a solid seal.
If that was cut off as shown in the update instructions, I would be concerned about the connection now that the hose sliding on the stem will be the ribbed part and only the bottom surfaces of the ribs will be making connection?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Well, I ran my saw this weekend. The original issue is gone! However, there's a new issue....that essentially makes the saw worthless. It won't rev...and lacks power in the cut. It was so weak, I had trouble getting it through a single green 10" aspen. It was acting as though it was way rich...yet, it smelled hot. I pulled the plug to see if it offered any clues. It did not indicate any richness....at all!

I've been patient...but my frustrations are mounting. Doesn't matter how good this saw is if it's not working as it should. As it is, this 550 makes my Stihl electric seem like a hot rod....a reliable hot rod. And there's nothing I can do. It's at the dealer again but he's stumped...and frustrated as well. Imagine how I feel right now. :(I'm not a hobby cookie cutter nor am I big money maker. A saw is a needed tool for me. I want this saw to work...and I want to give Husqvarna the benefit of the doubt.

I hope you are listening, Husqvarna.

Did they do the firmware at the dealer correctly and if so why didnt THEY run it before giving it back to you? Do they have wood in thr back they test cut in?

Did you make sure the carb was installed properly? These saws the carb box is tight and getting the two fresh air parts of the carb are difficult to get in to the boot. Also I've found that these style of boots with the rubber tube and push in plastic barbs tend to leak at that point. I always pull them and put some sealant on them just in case.

Did they do the firmware at the dealer correctly and if so why didnt THEY run it before giving it back to you? Do they have wood in thr back they test cut in?

I wouldn't know if the firmware was done correctly or not. They did run the saw but I haven't seen any wood around their shop.

To answer Idiotwithasaw....yes, I believe the carb was installed correctly.

Isnt there a break-in procedure for those autotune carbs so they adjust properly?
Some of the husky pros will jump in im sure on that.

Latest posts

Back