Got some nice free wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
20170616_200336.jpg
20170616_200345.jpg

About 2 face cords or so. I saw a sign on a pile of wood on my way home from work that said free. I turned around and was loading it up when the home owner came out and said he had another pile I could have. So I went back today after work loaded that then he gave me a bunch of wood he was going to split but didn't because he had 3 years of wood ready to go and piles of logs. He had several other dead standing ash trees to cut also. So I got all this free ash that won't be burned for a couple years. It was a good find.

Awesome...always feels good to get a free load of wood. Never burned ash before....not even sure if we have it out here? Is it a good wood for heat output, is it "ashy" afterwards.....:)

Dow
Ash is great firewood. One of the best. Hard and dense as heck. Your wooden tool handles are likely made from it. It native ranges are from mid-west states and eastward.

I spent over 6 hours with neighbors today, way high in the mountains cutting winter fallen firs. Big stuff and it all had to be cut and dragged on to the mountain road. Exhausting work! I didn't spend a dime, but I feel like I'm about to croak.

Yours sounds a lot more free then mine. :(

Yea the stuff that doesn't need to be split needs to be cut and the bigger stuff is cut. I don't usually pass up free wood. A lot of people in the suburbs where I work look at a fallen tree or downed limb as garbage and they cut it up and stack it by the road for their town to turn into mulch. If it's cut nice and stacked nice I load it up into my truck. I like chainsawing and dropping trees but real free wood is free heat.

I spent over 6 hours with neighbors today, way high in the mountains cutting winter fallen firs. Big stuff and it all had to be cut and dragged on to the mountain road. Exhausting work! I didn't spend a dime, but I feel like I'm about to croak.

Yours sounds a lot more free then mine. :(

I have to laugh at people who think that their standing trees are worth big money. All of the value in firewood comes from the labor required to process it. Even those who want a fifty-fifty split of the wood are dreaming (though dreams sometimes do come true).

Another 4.5 hours today. A cord of Tamarack, which hard to find dead standing or storm blown down. Great stuff to have when the temps dip below zero.

Still it was too soon. I hadn't fully recovered from Friday. :(

I have to laugh at people who think that their standing trees are worth big money. All of the value in firewood comes from the labor required to process it. Even those who want a fifty-fifty split of the wood are dreaming (though dreams sometimes do come true).

Agreed I think to my self after splitting a face cord of wood that I cut, there's no way I'd sell this for 75 dollars I have a lot of time and effort into it. A standing green tree takes hours of cutting and splitting then dry time. What's it worth standing?

Agreed I think to my self after splitting a face cord of wood that I cut, there's no way I'd sell this for 75 dollars I have a lot of time and effort into it. A standing green tree takes hours of cutting and splitting then dry time. What's it worth standing?

Around here, it's worth way less than zero. I wouldn't dream of paying for unprocessed wood, much less a standing tree that has to be felled, brush cleaned up, and whatever usable material hauled out. As an unlicensed, uninsured firewood hack, I wouldn't do it for free.

Back