Got the big mill going

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigOakAdot

ArboristSite newb
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Finally my ripping chains came in from grandberg. I have to say their chains stay sharp for supper long and are worth the wait!

We got started on a silver maple that had probably been sitting at the yard for a few months. We cut the flare portion of the trunk to be used as a cookie and to make the log physically possible with our 60" bar.

The further we got down into the log the bark inclusion went further and further. I'm expecting these slabs to all but split in half. I figure we can cut and join them or butterfly them together down the road.

These slabs had us sitting and staring for 20 minutes talking about how amazing they looked. Only got three slabs cut due to all the drooling but we plan on heading back this week to finish up.

BOA

Just under 3". We definitely had some chain sag which I'm going to want to figure out at some point. I've come across a lot of good info on here that I'm pretty sure Bob L provided.

I think the slabs fluctuated around an 1/8" and this was also due to the fact that we had to drill holes to get the Panther mill to stay steady. I figure they'll need to get planed anyway so no big deal.

BOA,

What size are those Stihl's you're using, and have they been ported? I don't see myself trying to Mill anything bigger than what you guys got going on. Those slabs look awesome btw, nice work!

We ran the 60" bar with an ms880. Used the smaller mill with a 42" bar and an 084 for the first cut.

Thanks for the kind words. And no they are not ported. Went faster than I anticipated.

That's some real nice ambrosia maple you got there. I still have two weeks before a ripping chain for my 36" bar comes in, and another month and a half until the 60" cannon I ordered to come in. Luckily baileys will be shipping my chains for the 60" bar this week so they can collect dust for awhile....

We ran the 60" bar with an ms880. Used the smaller mill with a 42" bar and an 084 for the first cut.

Thanks for the kind words. And no they are not ported. Went faster than I anticipated.

I thought that was Stihl's big boy! What a beast that thing is. I just saw my first MS 880 Magnum in person. I was cracking up with how it just dwarfed everything else on the shelf. I thought...Oh hell no, never even picked it up! LOL!

This forum is cursed. The more I read, the more $$$ I see flash before my eyes! :D

Thanks BOA

Haha you should have hurt the grunt my friend made when we first got the 5' bar and chain on there. Things is ****** heavy man. Definitely a two person operation.

Latest posts

Back