Granberg Alaskan MKIII chain tensioning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_In_VT

Brrraaaaap!
Reaction score
So I run a 395xp (front chain tensioner) on my granberg MKIII Alaskan mill.

Does anyone have a trick or modification so you can tension the chain without having to unclamp the mill from the bar?

The way it is now you simply cannot reach the tensioner, the mill blocks it. Anyone who has a 395 and Alaskan mill knows what I mean.
A side tensioner setup like a 372 would be perfect, but the 395 does so well power wise on the mill.

I used a real long screwdriver. I still had the large spikes on kine when I used it on the mill so it had plenty of room to get there with a longer handle.

So I run a 395xp (front chain tensioner) on my granberg MKIII Alaskan mill.

Does anyone have a trick or modification so you can tension the chain without having to unclamp the mill from the bar?

The way it is now you simply cannot reach the tensioner, the mill blocks it. Anyone who has a 395 and Alaskan mill knows what I mean.
A side tensioner setup like a 372 would be perfect, but the 395 does so well power wise on the mill.

Drill a hole in the clamp that lines up with the tensioner.

I love how heavy duty the 395 is compared to like a 372. I just all around hate the front tensioner though!
It's a design from the dinosaur ages and it should go away. Hopefully it will if/when husky updates and replaces the 395.
595xp AT anyone?

Back