Granberg EZ rail leveler issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasper107

Reaction score
I've been using my Alaskan Mk3 mill since the early 80s. For the primary cut(s) I have used homemade rails from plywood or 2X12s with stiffeners or aluminum ladders. These have been Okay, despite their limitations. Recently I decided to splurge for the Granberg EZ Rail. I assembled it and hit a point of concern with the levelers. The levelers are threaded rod passing through the cross rail. When I thread in the leveler rod it hits the far side of the cross rail. I see two solutions.
1) Force screw the leveler rod past the cross rail and allow the cross rail to act as a locking agent, this risks buggering the threads of the mild steel threaded rod.
2) Grind away the cross rail section that will contact the leveler rod, this may require the addition of a locking nut.
EZ Rail 1.jpg EZ Rail 2.jpg
The instructions are mute on this issue. I would contact Granberg directly but my emails to them, in the past, have gone unanswered so I'm asking this community for opinions.
Image 1 shows the leveling rod passing through the top of the cross rail in its threaded hole.
Image 2 shows the leveling rod contacting the bottom side of the cross rail.

I called Granberg directly and finally got through, Their representative, Ben, said just force the leveling screw in. He promised to replace parts if the threads or cross bars are damaged. I did this with no appreciable damage. After reading other posts with similar tags (boatman 9/17/10) I will set the leveling screws with locking bolts prior to running a cut.

Latest posts

Back