Grass after griding pine stumps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharps

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am at the end of a job where the customer wants debris from grinding pine stumps hauled out and holes prepped
for centipede to grow. How much or little(lol) do I have to dig out? Do I use only top soil? Will sand in the bottom
of the hole help with settling? Please advise!

If all you have to put in is grass, then I would leave the mulch about 3" below grade. 3" of topsoil is more than enough for lawn. The ones I have done, haven't had a problem with settling within the first couple of years. After that, I've never looked at them again. Just stomp down the mulch into the hole, really pack it in before you put in the top soil.

Thanks BC! That's exactly what I'll do. In the morning actually!! Maybe we can finish up early :)happybanana:) and go find some saw work.

It a good idea to at lest throw a few handfuls of ammonium sulfate on the mulch or it'll leach out all the N in the soil. I'd mix soil and some of the less woody grindings with top soil. Then top soil. You run a risk when changing the soils natural state. You can end up with a wet or dry patch.

Wood grindings will rot and make a sinkhole. I'd at least wait till the snow melts and ground thaws out.

Wood grindings will rot and make a sinkhole. I'd at least wait till the snow melts and ground thaws out.
From a practical perspective, yes they will rot and leave a bit of a sink hole (depending on how much soil is on top - if there is lots of soil, then there isn't much air and they won't rot), but by the time they leave a sinkhole, the job is paid for and the money long since spent. In other words, are you going to worry about what MAY happen in 5 years?

I forewarned my customer about possible settling as the remaining roots, chips, etc rot. He knows he can call me if it becomes a problem.
They are very pleased with the work so far and I believe they will refer me to friends and neighbors. They have been a pleasure to work
for up to this point. However, there have been a few small add ons. Time to get the money and run! lol
I'm in southeast GA, so no permafrost or much frozen precip to contend with. Doesn't look like we are going to get a winter this year.
Only two or three nights below the freezing mark so far. Our pines are polunating already. The earliest I have ever seen. It's deffinitely getting
warmer down here. A sign of things to come I afraid.
As far as the fertilizer goes, I will let the homeowner handle that. 10-10-10 granual is pretty common for grasses around here. I may do a ph
test/adjustment if necissary. I hope tomorrow will wind it up. We still have many large trees down after Hurricane Mattew. I need to start knocking
on doors.
Thanks everybody for the advise!
As you can see I'm a newbe. I like felling problematic trees, cutting up and hauling out the blow downs. I sub out the stumps.
I'm in the market for an 80-90cc stihl or huski. If you know of one please let me know. I tend to favor the working vintage stuff.
Yall have a goodun up ar! ;)

Here in California we have learned never to leave any chips near the tree removal project because grass will not grow. If the chips are aged then no problem, but fresh chips are not a good thing. Many times I have dug around the stump some times a foot below grade and cut it then lay plastic over the stump and plant seed. Yes there will be a sink hole at some point, but there is no choice in this. You could spend a fortune and remove the stump in its entirety, but that would be a dumb idea. Fresh chips are too acidic for grass. In this area we removed over 3 1/2 million pine trees in 5 years and have discovered aged works well. Would like to have some of your winter here. We received 2' of new snow then 2 1/2'' of rain with the highs around 32F so work has some what stopped for now. Thanks

Hello Ted Jenkins!
Yes, we have very mild winters and maybe none at all this year. However, the summers are brutal. Many days with
temps over mid to high 90's and several weeks of 100+. High humidity adds to the misery. I was born in Oregon and
prefer the climate there.
Well, top soil and sod taken from homeowner's backyard is in the holes. I pray this is not an expensive lesson. I will give
an update on this job in a few weeks. I hope to see green.

Latest posts

Back