Great Grandparents Axe Refurb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What color should I paint the head?

• Red

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blue

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Leave it natural

Votes: 21 84.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Back story. This axe belonged to my great grandparents. It was fitted with a short handle (or maybe it broke and was sawn off clean) but was used for making kindling where you mostly use the weight of the head to tap through cedar logs. Since it couldn't do much else with that short handle I decided a refurb was necessary. Since this is the second heaviest chopping axe head I have, I'll definitely use it if it had a better handle.

First I cut the short handle off. Discovered a custom overstrike protector under the electrical tape made out of copper. I'll save that for the new handle

Then I put the head in a bath of Coca Cola to remove the rust. I've heard this works but have never tried it before. I would have used vinegar but I had Coke handy and didn't have vinegar. If it doesn't work I'll redo in vinegar.

IMG_8341.JPG IMG_8342.JPG

Head is in great shape except for one chip on the poll.
IMG_8343.JPG IMG_8344.JPG IMG_8348.JPG IMG_8353.JPG IMG_8354.JPG

I threw a poll in here. Since great grandpa was pure Finn and great grandma was pure Swede I am thinking I am leaning towards a blue/red scheme but am open to suggestions.

Secondly does anyone know where I might be able to buy a nice sheath for this once completed?

I saw some nice ones in a leather store by La Crosse, Wi a few years ago. Can't come up with the name of the place though. It was a pretty slick store, lots of custom belts, saddles, knife and axe sheaths and the like.

Should have used Diet Coke if it is only for kindling . . .

You can paint it any color that you want - you are part of the axe's story. But your great-grandfather would probably only had the choice of black paint, and probably would have just oiled the head occasionally. For a more 'traditional' look, consider using linseed oil: http://www.fullchisel.com/blog/?p=1157

Philbert

Should have used Diet Coke if it is only for kindling . . .

You can paint it any color that you want - you are part of the axe's story. But your great-grandfather would probably only had the choice of black paint, and probably would have just oiled the head occasionally. For a more 'traditional' look, consider using linseed oil: http://www.fullchisel.com/blog/?p=1157

Philbert
Interesting. I will definitely be using BLO on the new handle.

Also I should note. My great grandfather died at age 53 of a botched surgery during the great depression and my great-grandma used the axe extensively for kindling after that until she remarried and moved in with my step great grandpa.

My GG was a giant for his time, he was 6'6". My step GG was a little tiny guy, think a Finnish version of Harry Truman. Both were excellent woodsmen/hunters.

I think I would have left that one alone. Lot of history in that thing. We usually put that kind of stuff up in the rafters.
That's the problem. I have so much old stuff that I don't need more stuff sitting around that isn't practical. Now I'll have a tool steeped in history that I can also enjoy using.

Steve, if the Coke doesn't work try Molasses, it has to be the kind you get at a feed store for live stock. I think it has sulfur in it. I read about it for restoring cast iron blocks on Model A's and old tractors. Do a search for it and a lot will come up, Joe.

I threw a poll in here. Since great grandpa was pure Finn and great grandma was pure Swede I am thinking I am leaning towards a blue/red scheme but am open to suggestions.

Secondly does anyone know where I might be able to buy a nice sheath for this once completed?
Depending on your budget and how far you want to go, a custom American made leather sheath from someone local or online in the states with maybe the family name or family coat of arms might be cool for such a heirloom.

I think I would have left that one alone. Lot of history in that thing. We usually put that kind of stuff up in the rafters.
Understandable but I have got more satisfaction fixing up one grandfathers saws and the other ones guns and using them knowing this is what they held in there hands and used it and now I am and maybe my grandkids will becuase I refurbished them.

svk, I clicked on that link for a sheath after seeing your comment about the price and notice that what came up for me was for a "camp axe", likely smaller than the axe head you are working with. Before you order one, double-check the size.
i saw that when i found that site. wasn't sure if the sheath was for the camp axe or if it was just another item they had for sale.

Back