Green Giant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
We have 5 Thuva Green Giants in a row we planted about 5 years ago. They've been growing pretty good, but one of them got covered with bagworms.
And through my procastination has some serious damage to the upper 1\3 of tree. I sprayed with Malathion and permethrin and it didn't kill them. I have pulled dozens of cocoons off.
Later I read once they are in the cocoons its very hard to kill them.

Tuesday I mixed up some Karate\Zeon, its a restricted use insecticide ( have my license) and soaked them very good.
Last night I resumed pulling off the cocoons but they felt almost empty. tore a few open and it appears the worms have passed on to a better place:)
What should my next action be? Trim off the defoliated branches?

Last fall i first noticed cocoons but by the time I pulled them off they were empty.

I know now I should have sprayed back in the spring.
btw Karate is Lambda-cyhalothrin

I used to work at a nursery. Grew holly's and arbs, mostly.
When he spotted the bagworms, the boss had the guys stop what they were doing and hand pick every bagworm off every tree. The they would dump them in a pile in the lot and torch them. Sounded like popcorn going off.
he used the appropriate sprays for pests, but I guess it just doesn't always work.

If your spraying is not working on the bagworms, then you should try the pest control service once. A friend of mine has also complained about the problem of infestations of fleas once. On her mom's suggestion, she has undergone the pest control service with the help of the Rocklin pest control team. And was really well satisfied with the outcome she got after the process. This method can help you too Danl. Feel free to contact the team if you think pest control can help you out.

Latest posts

Back