Greenthorn attempts at hand filing square ground / Critics welcomed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been trying to do it with a pair of vise grips holding the chain, and it just ain't working out to well....
I just went back and watched this most awesomest video again, gonna try and do it on the bar tomorrow, instead of the vise grips. Why do you make it look so easy?:(

I've watched Mike's videos also. And I can say, it gets easier with practice. I over-tighten the chain, put the brake on, and also shove a screwdriver in between the bottom of the bar and chain. It makes it easier for me to use 2 hands

I've been trying to do it with a pair of vise grips holding the chain, and it just ain't working out to well....
I just went back and watched this most awesomest video again, gonna try and do it on the bar tomorrow, instead of the vise grips. Why do you make it look so easy?:(

I will have to watch that video when I have time.

I'm just an amateur at this, but I have discovered a few things that help me out. I sharpen on the bar, I use a stump vice, and I drew lines (both directions) at 45 degrees on the wooden box I sharpen the saws on, so if the bar is parallel to the sides of the box, that helps to ensure a consistent angle with the file. I do one side at a time, and move the chain each time (rather than going down the bar) so the tooth is in the same place each time. Instead of using the chain break, I put a paint stirrer in back of the tooth (with my opposite hand). It holds the tooth still, and goes a lot faster than putting the break on & off. Always make sure the corner of the file is in the corner of the tooth, and make sure the outside side plate is either straight up or a little forward (if it tilts back, the chain will not draw into the wood).

You need to make sure the file is lined up in the groove perfectly or it will chatter and bite...even if you're changing the angle.
The double beveled flat file is the only one you really want to use.
2015-11-22 22.31.50.png
They don't last very long when not used correctly. You may have dulled yours by now and they don't work worth a crap when dull.
You probably want to file the rakers down before you sharpen the teeth or you'll cut the crap out of yourself multiple times before you're finished if you free hand. And the hard metal of a depth gauge will dull the fresh razor sharp tips on the teeth while holding it down.

Latest posts

Back