Greenthorn attempts at hand filing square ground / Critics welcomed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps you are correct, but I think it depends on what your are cutting and your emphasis on durability. As a reminder, the factory Stihl square file chain did far better in the competition than most of the custom angle chain (and, I think, better than anyone expected), and that is with an un-touched edge (there was likely room for improvement).

What angles do you like for hardwood? Usually, steeper angles will cut faster, at the expense of durability.

For everyday work chain, I think the factory angles are pretty decent, but I am always willing to learn, it is why I joined this site (where I learned about square file in the first place).

As a reminder, the factory Stihl square file chain did far better in the competition than most of the custom angle chain (and, I think, better than anyone expected), and that is with an un-touched edge (there was likely room for improvement).

That was the first round with a "normal saw" ................ if you remember they fell quickly once they went on something with the power to pull them nasty square filed razor chains and had to muscle their way through some of the finest wood Hedge could find in his parts ;)

Also, I aint never had another roll that was ever near as sharp ...................... ask anyone that ran the RS or the RSL, they thought I filed them

Most RS & RSL I have purchased has been very sharp right out of the box, but not all the time. I got some RSLH that improved a great deal after I touched it up.

"One side wasn't ground all the way and not the same angle as the other side."
Sounds like you got a defective batch. IMO, it is not representative of what you usually get.

For durability, I have carbide, but I only use it on real dirty wood. Makes my saws feel like they are in slow motion. Have not tried to sharpen it yet, but I may try with the 12 V and diamond stones. Curious if it would work.

I run about 25 degrees of top plate. Durability is not my main goal. If it is I run semi chisel. I never really pay attention to the other angles. 3 degrees forward lean or close.

When I tested off the roll stihl and Oregon the Oregon beat it nicely and my round filed beat both of them. I got half a roll of stihl that had to be ground before using. One side wasn't ground all the way and not the same angle as the other side.

I've only been square filing for about a year now. It's going well and I'm slowly getting faster at it but I've got a lot of hours in learning.

I've noticed that off the roll chain isn't that sharp and can get much sharper with a little work. Has it always been that way with the square chain or has the quality of the factory grind diminished?

My consensus thought is..."why would you run anything but square?" Time spent no matter what, the square always gonna come out ahead. JMO. I think this stuff about dulling faster or not lasting as long is wives tale, I been running the phuck out of treeslingers chains and they have been holding up quite well, even in this "dirty" wood.

Yes Jeremy you're close. The corner is a touch low but looks nice on the angle.
Thanks Mike!
I just looked at it again.
For some reason it looks lower in the pic than it really is.
This square stuff ain't too hard to do.
Files are pricey.
And definetly don't want to be starting with RS.......especially with 105DL.
What the hell was I thinking

Yep. If I'm going to spend time filing chisel I want it to be fast. If I want it to hold up I'll grab a loop of semi and go to work. Going to be using lots more 404 as well. Bigger tooth and longer lasting. Going to file some square when I get time.

I can sharpen the square just as fast as round, and I find semi to be slow. I usually cut clean wood, and the square holds up just fine.

Yep. If I'm going to spend time filing chisel I want it to be fast. If I want it to hold up I'll grab a loop of semi and go to work. Going to be using lots more 404 as well. Bigger tooth and longer lasting. Going to file some square when I get time.

I swapped my 90's to .404 and now I might do the same for the 70cc saws

I've converted a few each of rs and lgx. I took about 5 swipes off each tooth with a double bevel. They weren't completely converted, but well on their way. I couldn't justify losing a sharpening or 2 just in the conversion process. They cut just fine being tweeners

Tweeners are stumpers for me, they cut better than round and last pretty good too

That is exactly what I was wondering. If I converted round to square, I would start by taking my 12V grinder and making the side plate angle steeper (about 45 degrees instead of 30). No use removing all that stuff by hand.

That is exactly what I was wondering. If I converted round to square, I would start by taking my 12V grinder and making the side plate angle steeper (about 45 degrees instead of 30). No use removing all that stuff by hand.
This is what takes the longest for me. The side plate is only about 25° starting out (obviously) and square filed, it ends up being 45°ish. But even tweeners seem to cut faster than round.

And by the way, in the words of our own beloved bewildered, Happy Thangstgiving everyone

Back