Grilling and smoking tips and techniques ......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Share your secrets or tips, here's one of mine

A few years ago I starting sticking stick of split wood about 2" square, into the center of a newspaper charcoal starter and then pouring the coals around it, then I carefully remove the stick and when lit the flame will shoot up the center and sides of the caols lighting the whole stack faster and more even, as opposed to the bottom coals burning down before the top of a large, solid load of coals is ready.

I love a good t-bone or porterhouse a few times a year but more often I'll buy whatever cut of meat looks good and is priced on sale. I like to use Lawry's marinades and let the meat sit in the marinade for up to three days. Makes lesser cuts of meat very tasty and tender.

I made my smoker from a 55 gal drum - used vertically with a fire basket in the bottom. I put in a layer of unlit charcoal (about two deep) and then a layer (about 1 deep) of lit coals on top. It burns from the top down and gives a long (6hours plus) burn time and easily controlled temps. I put chunks of the smoking wood (bigger chunks are better as they burn slower) on top of the lit coals, then put a heat deflector pan over top of the coal basket. I also put a drip tray under the cooking grid. This keeps the juices off the fire so it doesn't flare up at high cooking temp, or go out when I'm cooking at low temps. For a pork shoulder, I've been using a mix of Heinz 57 sauce, Jack Daniels yellow mustard, apple sauce, Old Bay, and a rosemary/garlic combo to coat the meat. This keeps the outer surface from drying out too much and still gets the flavor into the meat.

I'll shovel coals from my wood stove into a coal bucket and dump in my grill and smoker and I'm able to cook pretty much immediately. Pretty rare that I buy charcoal I've went to pretty much just burning wood both in my grill and my smoker.
During the three months I don't run my OWB, I use my chimney starter with thin splits...same process as charcoal but just using splits of wood in place of charcoal.

Roasted chicken wings and or drumettes on a 4 burner gas grill w an upper rack.

season the chicken well w you favorite rub or seasoning or marinade and hold in the fridge 2/4 hours or more.
Make a pan out of HD foil by pulling out enough foil to span the length of the grill and fold the long sides twice about 2" tall, then fold the ends up and crimp to make a liquid holder.
heat/burn off the grill and carefully install the foil "pan" under the rack leaving a 1" or so gap at the back of the grill so the heat can rise.
pour in enough water or beer or apple juice/combination etc. to cover the pan about 1/2" deep and add the chicken to the upper rack. I use 1/2 water/other liquids and sometimes sliced lemon/onion herbs etc.
Put the chicken on the upper rack, trying to leave some space between the pieces, close and turn the burners to low, or use the 2 inside burners depending on how hot your grill is.
Roast about 15/20 mins. and check, turn the chicken and check the level of fluid, add some more liquid if the pan is getting dry, you can check/turn the chicken several times during.
After 30/50 mins. the chicken should be done and can be put in a big bowl and tossed w sauce, though they are good w/o sauce.
You can also use soaked wood chips or pellets rolled in HD foil tube on the grill grate to add smoke to the equation.
The wet pan underneath the chicken catches the drippings but allows high temp roasting w the lid on. Most gas grills have a vent on the back of the lid and the searing hot air flows right past the chicken cooking it quickly.

chicken.jpg

this was a small batch/cooks faster, I can fill the upper grate and and it takes longer/more turning but the results are the same.

Some country style ribs on the weber, rubbed w Plowboys Yardbird and brown sugar and marinaded in the fridge. Smoked slow w peach and apple wood and a pot of vinegar BBQ sauce steaming over the coals to keep the meat moist and add more flavor.
country ribs.jpg

Back