grinder which one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skippysphins

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Which grinder can do it all?
Square and regular that will last.
Thinking of buying one so I want input from users and cost up front , and repair up keep cost .
Ty upfront
Chris

Best I can do is don't buy junk, don't wait forever for a good deal. I started with HF, it's junk. Next was a Carlton import( blue one ) it's a copy of the Oregon, good unit. Then a Tecmec w/bidirectional motor and another Tecmec came along. So now I have a 3/8 and .325 set up on the Tecmecs and the Carlton setup for depth gauges. Then I scored 2 Simington square grinders in the same month. I think I'm grindered up til the next comes along. Word of warning on the round grinders, go easy and light cause you'll tend to take to much off in the beginning. Good luck Ken

There is some mis-information above......

Most, if not all, square chain grinders will also grind round chain. I've done it with my swing arm grinders.

Only problem is that you will have to swap out grinding wheels or redress the wheel each time you change from round to square (or vice versa).

I had a thread awhile back and guys were steering me towards the 511AX. Never had the pleasure of trying a square ground chain.......... Yet. Russ

There is some mis-information above......

Most, if not all, square chain grinders will also grind round chain. I've done it with my swing arm grinders.

Only problem is that you will have to swap out grinding wheels or redress the wheel each time you change from round to square (or vice versa).

I couldn't bring myself to do that to a $40 blue ceramic wheel. I never tried to sharpen anything round with mine.

Three years ago I came across the opportunity to buy a early Silvey Swing Arm (Red body - Golden Arm) which I more or less rebuilt. The swing arms are simple devices and most wear parts can be locally sourced. It turns out some nice square chains. This grinder is almost identical in every way with the original Simington 450 swing arm grinders.

Two years ago I then came across a early model (No light) Oregon 511A with a worn out vice. I put a new Tecomec vice and a Borazon wheel on it. I bought a Harbor Freight grinder stand to mount it on. It turned out to be a very nice round grinder. I do both regular semi and full chisel 3/8" and .325" large tooth chains on it with a 3/16" wheel.

Really stupid question probably, but gotta ask to learn. Does a square grinder use different wheels for 325 and 3/8? I know the answer for a round grinder, (got an old silvey 300), but just curious if the same applies to a swing arm grinder. thanks

Really stupid question probably, but gotta ask to learn. Does a square grinder use different wheels for 325 and 3/8? I know the answer for a round grinder, (got an old silvey 300), but just curious if the same applies to a swing arm grinder. thanks

No but you may have to dress the wheels differently to get into the smaller cutter.

Back