Grizzely 18" open end drum sander

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Does anyone have one. I think this is going to be the first thing I buy when I retire, in 46 days and counting. Some one told me, and if I could remember who I'd ask them, that it worked really well. They said it had something built in so when you sanded one 18" side, then flipped it around to get the other side, total of 36", it remained level and didn't leave a mark from the two passes. For those not familiar with it, it is open on one end so you can make overlapping passes. I'll probably get one unless someone yells "NO". It looks like the only thing that I can afford to sand some thing that wide, Joe.

I've had the Jet version in my shop fro a couple of years now and I'm very happy with it. Mine's a 22" and oscillates. As long as you take care setting it up you'll have no problems when you flip the piece over to do the other side. Mind you, don't plan on using it to replace a planer unless you possess herculean patience and have shares in one of the abrasive companies. And congrats on the retirement!

Thanks for the congrats Bob. I have a friend at church that has a 42" double belt sander. But it's a hassle to load long boards up and haul them to his shop. I think the 18" open end will do every thing I need. I looked at the 22" jet, costs a little more. Time shouldn't be a problem, I'll have all day to do an hours work, Joe.

Dang hit the wrong key. Those roller tables are as good as 6 pairs of hands. Anything to make life easier. Good luck, let us know how you get on.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I actually built a roller table after seeing the ones in my friends shop. He has a bunch of them. One at each end of the machines, a couple buy the bay doors, they are as good as helpers and never talk back or go on break, Joe.

Back