Guying a big log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job.

Did you leave slack for the upper guylines? The amount of slack you did leave, was it a 'based on experience' or did you do some form of calculation?
The highest line was just a failsafe, in case that section broke loose. Which did happen, but it stayed put.

The rest was calculated guessing. If it looks right, go with it. Best not to overthink. I had the lines pretty tight, and was banking on the stretch, with the ground anchors being quite a distance away. Thanks

The highest line was just a failsafe, in case that section broke loose. Which did happen, but it stayed put.

The rest was calculated guessing. If it looks right, go with it. Best not to overthink. I had the lines pretty tight, and was banking on the stretch, with the ground anchors being quite a distance away. Thanks

Best not to overthink the questions the ins co is going to be asking.

Just another joke bud. I have done this though not as big.

nicely done, those guy ropes looked almost to small as it hit the deck but they held firm... I had similar log drop with potential disaster roll away so secured it via a few heavy bull ropes, one gave way the others held but the tension & weight destroyed the rope melting fibers in the knots.

Guess I didn't see this back in January. Couple of questions about felling technique:
1) On the big log, you last cut looks to be the underside of the wedge. Is that right? What is the reason for that?
2) On the trees at the beginning of the video, you had very narrow wedges so the hinge broke when the tree was about half way down. Again: what is the reason?

Just curious... Thanks!

Cool way to keep that log from rolling - I haven't seen anything like it and it worked like a dream!

Latest posts

Back