Had to quit first logging job after fitting in perfectly. How should I proceed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, but it worked out well for her in the end... LOL I'm actually dropping a problem Locust for a neighbor tomorrow as it's dying out and is within striking distance of the house. It's not large, roughly 20-25" DBH, but it's around 48' high with a bad lean. Luckily beyond wedges, I can cheat with their tractor, snatch blocks and rope...

Kansas? A friend of ours is a correctional officer at a prison there. He said that nobody ever bothers to escape because you can see them for three days after they leave.
"Don't bother trying to escape, the boredom extends for three weeks in every direction, you'd never make it"

I don't know why you are worried about buying a skidder. Take my experience for example. I am a retired operating engineer and I needed something to keep me out of trouble, keep me in shape and keep me in firewood. I was watching two skidders on an internet auction, a 440 and 540 JD, the 440 was going for more than I was willing to spend, about $14,000 and the 540 was stuck at $8000 but hadn't met reserve. With only minutes left in the auction I told the wife I was going to put in a bid on the 540. I bid $8100 and met the reserve price and no one else bid so I was the winner! After taxes and buyer's fees and trucking I had about $9500 in it. It ran good, looked good, it had all new paint, two good tires but the others were usable. It needed a new mainline cable and some springs in the winch but all in all a pretty tight machine.

I used it for 4 years mostly dragging tops for my own use and some to sell and supplying wood for my brother-in-laws two outside boilers. I moved an Amish house with it, helped a farmer who slid a tractor and loaded chopper box off a hill road and dragged tops for an Amish work day. It was a very handy machine with lots of power and maneuverable in the woods and didn't need a super wide skid road.

I reluctantly sold it this spring for $14,500.

So what I am getting at is if you buy a decent machine and take care of it, you can always get your money back if things aren't working out for you.

Good luck.

Bought a decent LX485 about 6 years ago, about 200 in maintenace over the years, sold for what I paid for it last fall. I need to go bigger or smaller with bigger being the better option as a compliment to my MF 1230 tractor. Hard to find SS units that are not beat to death at a reasonable price. Used SS , Compact tractors w/mfwd, and 3/4 or 1 ton pickups w/4x4 all share the same common ailment- overpriced.

Sorry I haven't reported guys. I have been dealing with engineering school and also dealing with everyday bills. I will probably be out a little while due to some more health issues that aren't worth talking about since I made this post for advice on logging and not health.

I really thank you all very much for all the advice and can't wait to get started as soon as time and health allows. You are really a good bunch of guys.

Was that a poppin' fresh fir?

It was older second growth, nice little stand on the edge of civilization... Got like 7 loads of Ceder and Fir out of that one... With enough to come on back in a couple of years when they LO needs a roof.

If memory serves it was only like 36" on the stump.

Latest posts

Back