Half or full skip chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I said 'skip' would there be any confusion as to what I'm asking for?
Since skip came before semi skip; if someone doesn't specify semi skip then they are getting skip.

Obviously this came about in areas where semi skip came very popular and someone called it half skip...fair enough.
I bet most al BC coast fallers have heard of semi-skip chain but like me have never seen it in person. An additional 2,500 interior Certified fallers of BC and Alberta don't even know it exists. Ok maybe 50-100 have heard of it. and the same 50-100 out of 2500 have heard of square chisel chain. Another fun fact. Most saw shop employees in BC have never heard of square chisel chain. Not even north coast anymore. You can't buy a K &H wedge north of the middle of the province.

I'm sure most saw shops in USA don't stock semi-skip either??? Unless they have a request for it.

Soooo if you fall under this category as I do then clean the shelf of linguistic blend words such as semi-skip/half-skip/full-skip.

That just leaves us with full comp or skip.

How about that!
And the ones remaining need to remind us others that it doesn't apply to us

Where is George Carlin:bowdown: when you need him.
Now that was an 'American' that made sense. He wouldn't have any of it!
Yep, he made his cents with his sense!

haha..I have tears running down my check lol.. 'I don't know what it is'..it makes me crazy.

Anyway good thing everyone has been cooler that me and good laughs and friends were had.

Yes pretty quiet winter for me. I don't think I will be chasing the pot of gold in the north interior BC and Alberta for a few year anyway. I'll let it cycle back strong instead of cashing scraps.

What's being going on with you and the family Brad? All good?
Yessir all good for the most, my wife just broke her left ankle from a slip on the ice the day of my oldest son's birthday lol. This time was worse than the last and 6 months exactly the day from the other, but aside from that I ain't pushin up weeds from the dirt so I'm still winning the fight. Did some buckin and equipment operating for a friend on weekends through fall till snow hit which helped my sanity from the everyday job. 40 acres of juniper shoved into piles with a D8 and root wads, limbs, and bole wood had to separated for a grinder so it was a mess but it was some saw work. The guy I was working with was a faller for Weyerhaeuser here in Oregon back in the 80s so I enjoyed many good experiences he shared of those days

I like to keep both semi and full skip chains handy. My preference depends on the run of timber I'm in. Semi will take the limbs better if you are in limby piss fir. With slick timber I prefer full skip. With full skip you have to pay closer attention to your rakers. Full comp chain is only used in frozen timber where it seems to hold an edge better. IMO

Have had bars up to 60" (for the 090AV), but most cutting with longer bars included a 32" on the 394XP, and with the 36" on the 090AV, with full-comp chain. - The 394 has never hesitated to carry the full-comp through any kind of wood with the 32" bar....even when doin' stuff that is larger than that in diameter, i.e a full bite. I read all the above perspectives and opinions....but, again, my experience has never given me any cause to even consider a skip chain.... AND, with the 20" bar....? It just laughs at oak, maple and ash. Hard to imagine a stronger cut with a skip, but....whaddo I know. Perhaps, losin' teeth in my mouth, makes me want to have all I can on the chains...!!

Leeha might remember that saw, from a GTG several years back.... He asked: IS it stock? :)

Latest posts

Back