Hanging a single bit axe head

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ymountainman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got a Kelly single bit axe and a new handle. The handle has a fawns foot on the end, it's kinda pointy. I usually start the head on and hit the bottom with a mallet. How do yall set the head with this kind of handle. If you hit the axe handle it will split it. I cut a little of the pointy end off to get a flat spot to use the mallet on. Just wandering, Thanks for any responses.

I've always just used a chunk of lumber on the ground and slammed the foot into that, used momentum to get it on. I do smash the tip end of the handle a little, but I use a rasp and take off the broomed fibers, add a little finish, call it good. I don't believe I would want the end to really be that sharp, anyway.

The last one I installed I started the head on the end, held it upside down, suspended, and beat on the end of the handle with a dead blow hammer. I saw this procedure on link found on thread in here somewhere. If it doesn't go, take it back off and file more meat off the handle where it's being pushed by the head. It's a little slower but a lot tighter when done. Using the dead blow hammer doesn't chew up the end of the handle and you are using the inertia created by the blow on the handle to drive the handle into the suspended head. Don't set the head on the ground. That could cause a broken handle or damaged head. Just my opinion.

When replacing a handle I use a stump to drive the handle home, a softwood stump being the best.
To get a super tight fit warm the axe head and cool the handle.
Also the best handles are the ones that don't have the kerf.
Once the handle is driven home, trim the handle flush and drive a small metal wedge.
When it's all done right you will have a feeling of pride about the whole thing.
John

Back