harbor freight log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your link doesn't work for me.

Is this it?
http://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-log-splitter-61594.html

If so, I can't comment on how well it will do. But remember this, HF is known for their cheap quality tools. They also sell quality stuff as well. You would be taking a chance. You could buy it and last for years with no problems or it could blow up the first time you use it.

IMO, for that amount of money, you would be better off buying one from TSC. Alot of times you can catch them on sale and get down to $900 for a much better unit.

I have a Oregon 28 ton splitter and they come with the 35t husky beam. So I am very familiar with tsc style stuff. I just really like the idea of a splitter that splitts in both directions. I think I have seen this splitter before but it was under a different name.

I have heard great things about the Norther tools power horse version. If I was in the market for a horizontal splitter I would pick it up no problems. I have purchased several tools from HF and many of them are the same as the stuff from any big box store at half the price. I purchased Husky brand vice grips and they are identical to the HF ones I had except for the color of the plastic grip and $20 difference in price.

I would try this one before I bought that HF one. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200394095_200394095
It is actually on sale now so it is about $50 less They are similar designs but I would be very leery of the HF one as it says in the description it will split logs as thick as 8 inches. I don't even split logs that small. Sounds to me like that thing is for making kindling.

I'd bet there exactly the same, just different paint. I have the same motor on one of my splitters I just finished and it runs great and starts easy

Well this is new for them as they completely discontinued selling there previous line of gas splitters. Picture and spec list shows gas but description states electric. At a grand plus shipping I would look to the more local and accessible co. such as Home Depot, Lowes, Menards or similar box store diy centers in your location as then you have some semblance of warranty support. HF- if you do not have a store close by is pretty bad on that side of the coin and being it is a new item I would refrain from being the beta tester. Ok so I have a hf splitter used and abused it, rebuilt it better than new but there were many trials and tribulations along the way. The last versions that came down the pipe had a lot of cylinder problems. I suppose if you used the 20% off coupon ( makes it $799+ shipping) and have that kind of small change burning a hole in your pocket you could purchase it and report back. Happy New Year.

I don't see how you can compare it to any vert/horz splitter because that's not what it is. I am guessing the discripton is off. I bet it would be very good for straight grain wood under 20" or so. There's some good videos on YouTube of the one northern tool sells.

For that price, I would spend an extra $100. and get the Huskee 22ton at TSC. Goes vertical also, and you can always get parts for the B&S if needed. Would not want to try to find a carb kit for a Predator engine in 5 years.

As far as getting parts is concerned. I'm not sure what is not standard in any log splitter that would be hard to come by....

I tried the larger NT 2 way splitter at TreeMonkey's and was pretty impressed. Dual motion makes it 'cycle' pretty fast.

Steve NW Wisconsin started a thread on these a while back.

Obviously, will not split wood as large as a bigger splitter, but we did some large diameter rounds. I would buy it for stove wood.

Also sold with a Honda engine as 'GNE'. Don't know if the HF is the 'same' or a 'clone'.

Philbert

The predator engines has the same carb as a Honda gx 200. Both will work on each other.
As far as getting parts is concerned. I'm not sure what is not standard in any log splitter that would be hard to come by....

Good to know, but still would not spend that kind of coin on a splitter from HF.
As far as parts, my concern is the quality of the original part. Might be a fine splitter that will give you years of service-might not. JMO.

I need another splitter like I need another hole in my head, but I think it will probably be a good product.

Latest posts

Back