Hard to start old chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many people have reccomended new fuel lines. What effect do old fuel lines have? Obviously I can see the need to change the fuel filter and clean up the carb, but as long as the fuel lines aren't leaking and aren't clogged, how do they impact the running of the saw?

Fuel lines can also look good and not leak but can collapse. This causes the motor to run out of fuel. Over time, they will crack and leak.

Many people have reccomended new fuel lines. What effect do old fuel lines have? Obviously I can see the need to change the fuel filter and clean up the carb, but as long as the fuel lines aren't leaking and aren't clogged, how do they impact the running of the saw?

Those lines can collapse, as said and starve the engine for fuel. Also you can have small holes and cracks in the lines as they deteriorate over time. This leads to the saw generally running out lean. If you are not too familiar with a saw running out lean you may not be able to hear it. You can overheat and seize the motor this way as Scoot said. The ethanol in fuel these days can wreak havoc on a lot of components in a saw, fuel lines and carb diaphragms included.

I just figure that while I'm digging around in there I may as well do it.

Why replace your distributor cap, and wires if you aren't going to replace the plugs also.

Chris

If that saw has sat for 20 years you absolutely must carb kit it, and at least very closely inspect the fuel line, fuel filter, impulse hose, intake manifold and probably the inside of the gas tank itself. You just can't have a reliable saw otherwise.

Very nice saw by the way, completely worth putting a little cash into it to get it reliable.

Back