hardhat/faceshield/earmuffs combo question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadianhere

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi i am looking at buying a hardhat combo. i liked the idea of getting the 30db earmuffs but cant find any for sale, unless i buy the hardhat faceshield and earmuffs separately. I heard from some of you that the husky combo works good and comfortable, but they only come with 22db or 25db earmuffs. will that be enough hearing protection or should i try to find all the pieces separate? if i try to go separate and piece it together myself will it not work as efficient or be as comfortable if i don't find all husky equipment?

I got an Echo setup last year. Saw it in their spring promo mail out. No idea what the db rating is, but its been great. Good price too. Have to tighten the muff pivot screws once in a while, they seem to loosen a bit with use the odd time.

Ive got the rockman 6 point? setup Its great, wash dry repeat !! Iv e heard of the other setups breaking the muff off, I'd spend some time reading, searching etc. its only got be there until you need it then it HAS to perform. No Im not the safty police either

If you want good hearing protection try looking at foam ear plugs. A few years ago I bought a trial assortment from one of the earplug vendors for around $10 to $15. After trying them all I found one that worked well for me and bought an order of 50 of them for around $10. Now if I find the ones I am using are starting to degrade I open another plastic bagged pair. At my age I figure I have a lifetime supply rated at 32db.

I bought the stihl A system..paid 150 bucks for it but its worth every penny..i thought i was gonna hate the face sheild but i have c9me to love the protection from the sticks and chips etc

I have the Husky setup and they are perfect. The husky combo is perfect IMO while still allowing you to hear what is going on around you. Like others have said, a set of plugs can always be added if you find you want more noise reduction.

this is the only one i can find that is local. is this the husky one you guys recommend? or is this a crappier version of what some of you are using.. It won't let me paste the link for some reason. its the husqvarna woodsman hardhat combo from canadian tire for 80 bucks. I am asking because sometimes i find ones that says husqvarna pro woodsman combo or just husqvarna pro comba. they all look the same to me though, just wanted to be sure they are the ones you guys are talking about

The problem I have with insert ear plugs is they push dirt and earwax into my ear cannel, and after a while plug up my ears. Probably wouldn't be to bad if I wore them all day, but taking them in and out many times to answer the phone, talk to people, etc and with dirtyish hands, sawdust all over, etc it's bound to happen.

Just something to consider for others. The earmuffs I like better as they are on and off real quick and keep dirt out of my ears.

The helmet I have is made by Peltor. It is the hard hat, face shield and muffs. I gave about $50 for it 5 or 6 years ago.

This one is about $40 http://www.baileysonline.com/Safety...t-Ratchet-Suspension-Vented-Helmet-System.axd

The problem I have with insert ear plugs is they push dirt and earwax into my ear cannel, and after a while plug up my ears. Probably wouldn't be to bad if I wore them all day, but taking them in and out many times to answer the phone, talk to people, etc and with dirtyish hands, sawdust all over, etc it's bound to happen.

Just something to consider for others. The earmuffs I like better as they are on and off real quick and keep dirt out of my ears.

The helmet I have is made by Peltor. It is the hard hat, face shield and muffs. I gave about $50 for it 5 or 6 years ago.

This one is about $40 http://www.baileysonline.com/Safety...t-Ratchet-Suspension-Vented-Helmet-System.axd
my problem is i am in canada, so a lot of the ones i find are from the states, which end up costing me a lot more after shipping and custom charges and such. i cant find many websites/stores here that can get me the ones you guys recommend

See post 3.

I'm in Canada also. The Echo was local, decent quality, and good price. Forget exactly but around $40. They usually have a spring mail out flyer. Got an Echo dealer around? Lots here.

Stihl "forestry" model here. Works for me and it fits good--I have a big head.
You don't realize how much sawdust comes up at your face until you wear a screen...

I prefer separate safety glasses, ear plugs and hard hat. Have you worn any of them before? I usually put the ear plugs in and leave them until I am done cutting. Muffs give me a headache, from the pressure against my head. Yeah, but I just live with my quirks. Muffs are great for on and off, but where I may be wearing them for 4 hours straight, I prefer the soft foam disposable plugs.

I prefer separate safety glasses, ear plugs and hard hat. Have you worn any of them before? I usually put the ear plugs in and leave them until I am done cutting. Muffs give me a headache, from the pressure against my head. Yeah, but I just live with my quirks. Muffs are great for on and off, but where I may be wearing them for 4 hours straight, I prefer the soft foam disposable plugs.

I was the exact same way *until* I tried the husky system. No pinch, no headache, completely comfortable. I have 5-6 other sorts of gunmuffs and working noise muffs here I never use anymore.

I like ear plugs, the ones with a string is handy. But since I went forestry helmet two years ago I stopped wearing them. But the plugs are probably quietest.

One of my neighbors stopped by and I was cutting with my helmet on with my back to the road. Smartenheimer walked right up on me with the saw running and roared right behind me the moment I shut off the saw. Darn near dropped the saw.

Had a customer do that to me last fall. The guys in the shop sent him out back to talk to me. I was in the middle of cutting some branches off a log that was jammed up on the processor.

Just have time to shut the saw off and pull off my helmet I'm pretty much in my own little world thinking about trying to get this order down, who I need to call, etc and and I get a "HEY, HOW'S IT GOING?!". Was an older guy that was hard of hearing so he just normally talked real loud.

I damn near **** and pissed myself all while having a heart attack and I'm pretty sure whatever I said without even realizing would have been enough for my Mom to slap my mouth into next Monday if she had been there. haha!

Go figure everyone had a laugh at my expensive after that.

One of my neighbors stopped by and I was cutting with my helmet on with my back to the road. Smartenheimer walked right up on me with the saw running and roared right behind me the moment I shut off the saw. Darn near dropped the saw.

Back