Has anyone used one of these old Danish stoves before? -pics-

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moddoo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am considering picking it up for my parents.
They would like to use it in the basement to help heat the house.
The owner says that the stove pipe outlet ID is 4.5inches?
maybe it's a 12cm pipe?
This seems small to me.
They have a 8 inch ID triple wall chimney.
Would it be ok to run this stove into their 8" pipe?

Any experience with a stove like this?
Thanks

Last edited:
I am considering picking it up for my parents.
They would like to use it in the basement to help heat the house.
The owner says that the stove pipe outlet ID is 4.5inches?
maybe it's a 12cm pipe?
This seems small to me.
They have a 8 inch ID triple wall chimney.
Would it be ok to run this stove into their 8" pipe?
Any experience with a stove like this?
Thanks

Nice stove, a classic Scandinavian "cigarette burn" or front to back draft stove from the 60's thru 70's. The metric size ~4.5" pipe is the right size; don't flue it with 8" pipe if you can, won't draw correctly unless their pipe is tall with a clean roof exit away from trees and ridge. Some of the long term dealers should have adaptors for the metric to 5" or at most 6" pipe. Morso and Jotul were also Scandinavian classics made to burn small logs up to 6" since the European forests were cleaned out for centuries then.
Things to check: seams between the cast plates, cracks in the interior cast plates on the sides, and top, the door for warping. If the light test works (in dark room to check for leaks :monkey: ) replace the door gasket, and the pipe adaptor gasket IF it will come apart. We had a smoke "recirculating" Morso 2BO and a Lange waaayy back.
If you can swing it, they'd be better off with a newer EPA approved stove: burns less wood, more efficient, cleaner flue, less smoke ---Morso, Jotul, Woodstock, Hearthstone, QuadraFire, etc.. Besides, most of the newer stoves use 6" pipe, but can use 8.
Don't forget to get good dried firewood for them :cheers:

thanks a lot for the info logbutcher.

They have a good 30'+ of straight pipe running up past the second floor roof peak. So I hope it will draft well.

I'll check the seams if they decide they want it.

It's really the cool antique factor that has their attention.

Unfortunately a $1500-$2000 unit is out of the question right now.

I'll keep searching around for a deal on a newer EPA stove. But like I told them, they should have bought one in July.

Nice stove, a classic Scandinavian "cigarette burn" or front to back draft stove from the 60's thru 70's. The metric size ~4.5" pipe is the right size; don't flue it with 8" pipe if you can, won't draw correctly unless their pipe is tall with a clean roof exit away from trees and ridge. Some of the long term dealers should have adaptors for the metric to 5" or at most 6" pipe. Morso and Jotul were also Scandinavian classics made to burn small logs up to 6" since the European forests were cleaned out for centuries then.
Things to check: seams between the cast plates, cracks in the interior cast plates on the sides, and top, the door for warping. If the light test works (in dark room to check for leaks :monkey: ) replace the door gasket, and the pipe adaptor gasket IF it will come apart. We had a smoke "recirculating" Morso 2BO and a Lange waaayy back.
If you can swing it, they'd be better off with a newer EPA approved stove: burns less wood, more efficient, cleaner flue, less smoke ---Morso, Jotul, Woodstock, Hearthstone, QuadraFire, etc.. Besides, most of the newer stoves use 6" pipe, but can use 8.
Don't forget to get good dried firewood for them :cheers:

My folks had one of these my whole childhood, but just black cast iron; not enameled. It was a smoke recirculator just like this one as well,with the approximately 10-12" round plate for ash cleanout. They are wonderful stoves; they take a 24" log, and if you fill it with locust and hickory, they will burn 12 hours. Ditto what was said about the flue pipe; you need to put a liner pipe in or you're going to end up with smoke in your house! Also, the new EPA stoves with catalytic converters are expensive, but MAN!!! they get HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT!! The parents replaced the stove like this blue one with a jotul firelight (can't remember the model--they don't make it anymore. dual doors, 24" log capacity, and a catalytic converter, foot operated top loading,) You can't stay near a stove with a converter. But, if the stove is cheap, its a winner.

One thing I'll say about it is that if you burn the stove really really hot frequently, you're going to potentially crack the separator plate in the "roof" of the combustion chamber---this happened in my parents' stove. It got relocated to the cabin, and will get a repair plate welded on this winter. Also, you're going to need a little ash "rake" to push the coals to the back & remove the ashes from the front--this is the only drawback to the stove, IMHO. Newer stoves have a removeable ash tray. Seeing these pics brings back memories for sure. I dig the blue color, too.

Last edited:
Jotul doesn't make catalytic models any longer. They have gone with what they call 'clean burn' technology which is heated air passages and stainless steel secondary air input tubes. I've had a Jotul Firelight CB (clean Burn) for 5or 6 years now.

The crack was in the lange stove---I found out about the jotul change a while back; I tried to look up the weight before we moved it into the shed---dad's 58 and put in an LP insert. Wuss.

Do you like the CB stove?

I do. The CB models put on a much more visible fire show. In the cat models the secondary combustion took place where it was not visible. I believe the localized 'hot spot' the cat creates when functioning properly causes heat stress in the cast iron and results in cracking quite a bit. Hot cats have caused lots of stoves to fail. Vermont Castings has supposedly had lots of problems with their stoves cracking and warping.

We've used cat stoves since they came out in '89-'90. They work well and put out heat, but they can be fussy without experience. We now have a cat (VC Encore) and non-cat Jotul Oslo heating about the same spaces 24/7. The cat out heats the non-cat by at least 1/2.
The VC branded stoves made by CFM Majestic since their takeover of Vermont Castings in 1995 have problems not because of the cat, but quality control in manufacture: little QC, poor assembly, cheap castings, little or no customer or dealer service. Parts warp or break, dealers are forced to "make good" on defects, parts are expensive and often difficult to get in due time for repairs. Not much seems to have changed recently. They blame user "error" often. Check out the Stove Rating section on hearthnet.
Cats do the job, but you've got to get the hang of burning correctly with a cat, maintaining it, and replacing it when the platinum or paladium coating burns out. For full time 24/7 burning a cat may go for 3 full seasons. Not so bad when you look at saving at least 1/4 to 1/3 of the wood comapared to a non-cat; more for older pre-EPA stoves. Woodstock SDoapstone makes an excellent line of cat stoves in N.H.
I do drool over my woodpile(S) .......why oh lord ? :confused: I will take a quick peek as we speak......:dizzy:
The professor is now going beddie by :givebeer:

Latest posts

Back