Hauling Rounds on ATV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a few ideas of what to do but the members of AS always impress me with their ingenuity for things like this.

Does anyone have a good setup? Due to terrain, my trailer cannot get back to a couple of my scrounge areas and I would rather not drag logs through mud and gravel.

Nuthin here. Just heft them into the back of the UTV. I also have a small 4x8 trailer that can haul about 1000lbs.

Receiver hitch? Use a cargo tray. I have a pretty sweet little John Deer trailer with big fat tires that is about twice the size of a wheelbarrow. It's handy behind the 2wd quad

You could:

* Carry them, if they're too heavy

then you could:

* Use a single wheel wheelbarrow

or:

* Make a wooden sled and pull the rounds to your trailer on it. For rounds to large or heavy to get in the trailer, you could roll them up a ramp

I made a trailer that hauls my ATV that is only 2 1/2" wider than the ATV. If the ATV fits the trailer generally does also.

Attachments

• sm trailer loaded (Small).jpg
    sm trailer loaded (Small).jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 152
  • small trailer with atv 007 (Small).jpg
    small trailer with atv 007 (Small).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 160
  • small trailer with atv 008 (Small).jpg
    small trailer with atv 008 (Small).jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 149
I apologize. I should add a little color.

These sites are 1/4 to 3/4 mile off the road and are accessible by ATV trails only. A trailer is not an option due to the terrain of the trail. Any type of drag would literally get ripped to shreds on the rocks. The further trail does have some mud holes too which are a challenge for a fully loaded ATV let alone a heavily loaded trailer. I could drag them out in log form but it it very difficult on the driver, atv, and log to skid over rocks.

Burr oak is virtually impossible to come by in my neck of the woods therefore it is worth the time to bring this stuff out.

I ran into the same issue you are having... I wish I could give you (and me) some sort of awesome solution but I ultimately decided to just leave it lay because it wasn't worth the work.

What about a walking beam trailer? they can climb over rocks, logs, bumps, ruts, etc. You could load it half way. I see you said you have no receiver hitch. There is no rack at all on your ATV?

Pictures of the site would help.
Here are some photos but from your last post it does not sound like this is an option. Possibly if lightly loaded?

Not a fan of dragging stuff myself.
If you can fabricate then space saver spares, and spindles off the back of front wheel drive cars are an option.
Four bolts and they are yours for pretty cheap at most junk yards. The junkyard near me uses two of them per wheel barrow for customers to get their toolboxes and parts in and out of the junkyard. But you could make most anything out of them.
This is what I have used, and found...
Note however, the terrain here is surprisingly flat. A log arch or loaded trailer can have a lot of push behind it. I'm certain I have pulled maybe 1,500 lbs., possibly more.

A log arch is nice, but are a limited use, specialized piece of equipment. You still need the trailer to clean up the smaller limb wood.

A trailer is far more versatile for all sizes of firewood, and and of course many other things.
Our trailer is loaded with splits weekly, and parked in the garage most of the winter. Summers we use it for moving firewood, bark/mulch, yard work, and sometimes as a temporary or mobile work bench.

There are walk beam axles and torsion axles. This trailer has torsion axles. Nice when unhooked, as it sits pretty level, and it can be moved about. Not so good traversing steep berms or road side banks, as all the weight can at moments be carried by one axle, the other air born, either front or back depending. It also has an electric dump. This brand is no longer available but there are others very much like it that are. Very handy tool connected to a quad. After ten years, the initial cost is mute. (Actually the cost has almost doubled in ten years time)
0719112241.jpg 1031091512.jpg 1014101348.jpg 0815121531.jpg DSCF2024.jpg 0807121541.jpg

What size dia. are you talking?
Would it be possible to make a trailer like a log arch with a high backbone utilizing receiver tube. The deck and side stakes would be above the tires and 10' logs loaded length wise. The walk beam axles could be pinned anywhere along the length of the back bone, five feet from the quad, or, ten feet to fifteen feet from the quad. Basically a deckover with a sliding log arch style hitch. The idea being to keep the quad out of the holes the same time the load is in one.

It does seem as though a trailer is a good way to go here. If the ATV can make the trail, then a trailer should as well. Even a half load would be better than nothing.

Another thing with the log arch is you could make a steel skid plate out of fairly thick stock that attaches to the end of the log that will drag on the ground, to keep it from getting chewed up. Rocks aren't going to tear up steel.

Back