Hauling Rounds on ATV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polaris made one as well. The ATP.
They still make them except now it's called the X2. I believe that will be my next ATV, pricey though. They come with "Turf Mode" which is a rear differential that can be locked or left open, that's what attracts me to them the most.

Any pics of this trail?

I am thinking that any trail you couldn't pull some kind of trailer through, and your ATV will barely make it through, won't be very safe to try with wood piled up on the racks.

A walking beam trailer is the answer for rough ground - but all trailer/tow vehicle combos do have their limits when it comes to hills & loss of traction. I have spun out a time or two with mine, with not much load on it - I have also been up on two wheels unexpectedly a time or two with not much weight on the racks. (I keep 2 saws, gas & oil on the front, and have a box/passenger seat on the back with all kinds of other stuff in it). If I was going to try wood on the racks, I would just solidly bolt a plastic tote on each rack, and start with small loads - at least the weight will gain you traction, and help keep the wheels on the ground going up & down hills, but the side to side pitches could bite you badly.

I agree. There is no way I would run with racks loaded that high.

Walking axle trailers are the answer.

Appreciate the thoughts.

A few of you kind of mentioned the same thing so I'll answer without quoting everyone.

The issue is not tipping over, it is going through mud and also up and down quick changes in grade that would high center a trailer (on the further trail). On the closer trail it is the large amount of rocks to drive over/around that would preclude use of a SxS atv or trailer. Yes, I have owned and driven SxS wheelers and I am certain I could get them back there but the time needed to walk them over the obstacles would not make it worthwhile.

As I have stated this is not a money making ordeal as I know it would be easier and more time effective to scrounge up more of the lesser species close to home. The further batch of wood would more be gathered when I am already back there on a pleasure ride or when hunting in the fall. Just want to be able to multi task and scrounge up the best that ma nature has to offer.

Secondly I am already going to incorporate canoe racks into the rack I build which was already planned. The racks will be more or less permanent so I can scrounge by ATV whenever I come across anything worth bringing home. :D

You would be surprised the relatively mild terrain I have flopped the trailer over on while loaded down. In rough terrain I only load as high as the sides.

I would look into a side by side.

You would be surprised the relatively mild terrain I have flopped the trailer over on while loaded down. In rough terrain I only load as high as the sides.
I have a basic TSC 15 cu ft yard trailer that I use for scrounging in our marshy area as well as the creek behind us. I ended up putting a longer axle and wider tires on it. Much much more stable now going through those areas.

Getting back to hauling rounds on the ATV, which is what @svk is asking for, you could attach a large plastic tote to the rear rack. Not the most robust solution but it sounds like this is a once-and-done situation anyway.

In the picture, I took a 50 gal tote, screwed it down to a piece of plywood then attached a couple of 1/2" NPT black pipe flanges and short pipe pieces to the bottom of the plywood. The pipes align with preexisting holes in the rear rack. The pipes keep it from sliding and the 4 bungee cords just help hold it down. I suppose you could put a ratchet strap across the top once it's loaded for extra security.

I normally use the tote for carrying tools and gear but it does get used occasionally for hauling small to mid size rounds.

BTW - That's the yard trailer I mentioned earlier but this was before the addition of the longer axle and wider tires.

The picture is from the creek bed in the back of our property. It's a fairly steep climb to get out of there and so far I have not had the tote (or the wheeler) tip over.

ATV and trailer.jpg

My opinion is to get the welder out. The store bought trailer are not designed for what you are doing. Wider axle and larger tires are a requirement. Worst case scenario is to grab a axle off of something that has seen better days and bolt it to the axle with some U bolts. A set of 13'' or 14'' automotive tires will get you going. Your ATV was designed for off road use , but not your trailer. Thanks

My opinion is to get the welder out. The store bought trailer are not designed for what you are doing. Wider axle and larger tires are a requirement. Worst case scenario is to grab a axle off of something that has seen better days and bolt it to the axle with some U bolts. A set of 13'' or 14'' automotive tires will get you going. Your ATV was designed for off road use , but not your trailer. Thanks

Ted my trailer was built as an off-road trailer for an atv using axles from a snowmobile trailer

Problem with it is that it's a touch too narrow due to it following in the atv's tracks. It's Center of gravity is a bit to high due to its high ground clearance.

So when it's loaded high and a rear wheel drops into a hole it will flop if I'm not careful.

It's a great wagon for the most part. It's when I go off trail after blow downs that I have to be really careful.

Like you said a little wider and walking axles would be the ticket.

I'm going to swing in and talk to the builder today to see if there's anything we could do to make those changes

Here's what you need

Seriously, Here is the trailer I used to have. A Country Manufacturing walking axle tandem unit. Had a 2500 lb capacity. That thing could haul some wood. About 1/3 cord at a time (43 cu ft. if stacked) with the overside bed I made. I wish I still had it, but I sold it a couple years ago.

@kodiak Do you have any pics of your trailer after you put wider tires on it? Love to see it. Thanks
Not much to look at. The tires were on clearance at my local shop. They are not super wide but they are also taller than what I had. The replacement axle probably puts each tire 4"-5" out from where they started.

What I really want to put on are ATV tires like @benp has on his above.

IMG_4122.JPG IMG_4121.JPG IMG_4123.JPG

My walking beam trailer was put together - by someone who really liked to weld, it seems - using what I think are old K-Car wheels. (I got it used). It works great, same width as the ATV and it will pull over rough stuff without any tipping no problem. I just need to watch out for stumps in the high spots I didn't quite cut off low enough - those bring it to a halt pretty quick. Walking beam is the way to go in the rough stuff.

I realize you said a trailer will not work because of the steep down grade and abrupt changes in grade.
Someone else mentioned a gooseneck hitch, which I also recall seeing posted several years ago. I think it was on a side-by-side, and a very clever set-up. It would change the center of gravity and in your case might be rather dangerous on a steep decent.

Another thought, if you have the width on the trail, would simply mount some 6' x 2" x 6" pieces flat and cross ways on the front and rear racks and carry out a couple 8' long poles at a time, one on each side. If that doesn't work because of width then cut poles and carry cross wise on the racks. I would think that it would be easier to secure than a bunch of shorter cut rounds.

At one point you mentioned dragging. Another option could be making a simplified type of mini skidding winch for the back of the quad. One where you could lift the ends of a log or two for skidding. In the more difficult parts, drop the load and cable out, drive through, and winch the log back in. It could also be an arch type set-up with a long cable/electric winch, separate from the quad. Log-Rite also makes a Fetching arch for raising the end of a log to cable up a slope. This is the one I have but have never used it in that way.

Just throwing darts at the board to see if anything sticks...

A number of years ago I built a trailer just to lower or drive down hillsides with a winch. I went through some wheels that were laying around in one of my storage units. I discovered a couple of combinations of offsets. For severe rugged terrain I chose wide offset wheels with as large as tires that I could find then for mild terrain areas I chose less offset wheels with smaller tires. The available combinations made the trailer much more versatile. In about 15 minutes my trailer could be hooked up to my Bronco or be used to shuttle wood up from a very rugged timber site. Thanks

Just saw Wozer's post. I think he is on to something...

I agree.

But the practicality of that is limited and if that is something you are considering there are better options....

Such as this.

https://www.constructionequipment.com/asv-scout-sc-50-utility-vehicle

Which to me is way more useful.

If I had to do it all over again I would go this route.

http://woodlandmills.ca/us/product-category/atv-trailers/

I spoke with my trailer builders today. Well one of the brothers, everyone else was at lunch.

He said my trailer is built to track directly behind an atv with similar ground clearance of most wheelers. That's what people have asked for.

I asked about making it a walking beam.

It would add an additional 2+ feet of width because wheels would now have to be on the outside.

I told him to talk about it this afternoon with his brothers when everyone was back.

Don't get me wrong. I really like my trailer. It just could be better for off trail

I agree.

But the practicality of that is limited and if that is something you are considering there are better options....

Such as this.

https://www.constructionequipment.com/asv-scout-sc-50-utility-vehicle

Which to me is way more useful.

If I had to do it all over again I would go this route.

http://woodlandmills.ca/us/product-category/atv-trailers/

I spoke with my trailer builders today. Well one of the brothers, everyone else was at lunch.

He said my trailer is built to track directly behind an atv with similar ground clearance of most wheelers. That's what people have asked for.

I asked about making it a walking beam.

It would add an additional 2+ feet of width because wheels would now have to be on the outside.

I told him to talk about it this afternoon with his brothers when everyone was back.

Don't get me wrong. I really like my trailer. It just could be better for off trail

That ASV is cool. Real cool i would really like it if it didn't have the cab and just a roll over bar. like a UTV or SXS a bit. but i don't like confined spaces much.

SVK you could almost build something like that photo but to give a bit more ground clearance use a square spindle almost like a walking beam with only singles have a tube come straight down, and brace it back a bit
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Spindles-sz-For_2000_lb_Axle.aspx

after all this talk about walking beam trailers i have been thinking about building a little one for the compact tractor, or something like this even. http://www.bigtoolrack.com/

Back