have pump outside or inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireFeeder

Reaction score
I've had a central boiler classic for about 10 years now. in that time, I've had to replace the outside circ pump twice, and the power outlet 2-3 times. It has heated up too much once because of a stuck solenoid on the draft door, but otherwise, it seems like having the pump right next to the furnace isn't a good idea as it gets too hot. I run between 175 and 185. There isn't much of a height diff between inside and out. Has anyone else had issues with that. I'm thinking of moving the pump inside. Any thoughts?

Those temps shouldn't be too much for a circulator.

Also there likely isn't much inlet pressure to the pump where it is, given it's an open boiler maybe 4' tall. Insufficient inlet pressure can lead to cavitation which would be more likely to affect longevity. (A somewhat common OWB thing, I think.)

I suspect moving it inside might make that situation worse - but dont' have a clear picture of your system setup.

So based on that, I think I would leave it there.

I would leave it as-is.

The pump should be in the lowest spot if possible - level would not help a pump and I don't think the heat is a problem. Mine is in the house and I needed to replace the impeller kit (Taco 011) twice in 10 years also. Mine is in the 68° basement and has about 6 ft of head.

I located mine in the basement. I figured if I ever had to work on it at least it would be dry and most likely even warm. Mine is also not much height difference. On the commercial units it's easy for them to mount the pump on the back of the unit so it's all self contained when they ship it. If you do relocate the pump I would suggest the quick change valves so you can swap it easily - and of course keeping a spare on the shelf won't hurt either.

Mine is in the house. It only runs when a zone calls for heat. I would think that would increase life span and decrease the amount of wood burnt-just a guess though.

I will add my experience here although it doesn't make a case for one way or the other. I have had a Central Boiler for 15 yrs with a Taco 007 mounted on the owb and servicing 2 outbuildings. I have not had to touch this pump yet, I am expecting it to fail any time and may swap it out before winter to be safe. I also had a Taco 009 in the basement of my house which has had the cartridge replaced twice and started leaking at the end of last season so I swapped it with a 3 speed Grundfos. I would have thought the one in the basement would have an easier life but surprisingly that has not been my experience.

Back