health books

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
what books would your reccomend to help soldify my knowledge of pests and plant diseases.

You need to have Johnson and Lyons "Insects that Feed on Trees and Shrubs" and Sinclair and Lyons "Disease of Trees and Shrubs". They are comprehensive reference books. If you read all the way through them, more power to you!

For conifer problems in the east, I really like the Christmas Tree Pest Manual: http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/misc/xmastree/

Pirone has good material out there as well.

Also, several of the Extension services have some good more specific publications that I turn to often. Some of those are free, some cost a couple of bucks. Most can be found online. Sometimes I order a hard copy, sometimes I just print it off.

James Urban's Up By Roots is more instructional about proper installation, but when you read this, and see things done wrong, you will certainly start to have a stronger understanding of plant health issues.

You need to have Johnson and Lyons "Insects that Feed on Trees and Shrubs" and Sinclair and Lyons "Disease of Trees and Shrubs".

Is there an echo in here?

I agree with the above those texts are a must have. For some one just starting out they can be overwhelming.

Just attended the TCI Expo in Hartford Ct. One of the seminars was Plant Health Care taught by Mike Raupp. We all received a copy of his new book, Managing Insects and Mites on Woody Plants: An IPM Approach. How to quickly identify and research more than 145 different pests. One is also available on diseases, these may be helpful on ID'ing the common key issues found in the landscape.

Latest posts

Back