hello all......... i is new so be gentle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabre10

Reaction score
hi.............only just found this, this site is great!!
looked at a very mature cedar of lebanon yesterday........client worried about its health although doesnt want to lose his prize specimen tree...... there is excessive sap production which appears to be bleeding from 3 different places on the lower half of the trunk.........however no visible damage anywhere around bleed points.
the tree has been losing sap for 3 yrs altho worsr now..........

lowest large lateral branch going yellow............

evidence of decay around base with hollow sound on one side at base............

this is a big tree and its within house squishing distance of this guys property..................

personally i think the tree is a hazard purely down to the state of the trees base however I have not seen sap bleeding like this before and would appreciate any input as to why you think this might be happening.........

on the plus side...........if i get the job there is so much sap i wont need a rope and harness...... i can climb this one in a kind of spiderman stylee..............

thanks for your help............ ian

Yeah

Just the other day we were working on a gum and the same thing ...

lots of sap coming out and no sign where from, we took old bark off and had bit of a dig around, hust sap, weird!

I reckon there's small holes or even cracks thru to the floem, perhaps the trunk was knocked etc, anyway, the one we were working on was a save job and I couldn't disect it!

Other than that the tree was relatively vigorous, no decay, no cavities etc etc ... and sap is a healthy sign.

Maybe Treeseer will drop in on this thread and offer some words of wisdom. :)

haha, spiderman styles.

If the tree has even been brused, sap can flow out. Does pine pitch canker affect cedar? Although sounds like possable advanced armillaria rot rot infection

Back