Hello...Pro Mac 55

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SierraMtns

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,

Chain saw friends. I have been lurking on the forum for awhile and now that I found this guy today I guess it's time to join.

So here is the McCulloch Pro Mac 55 I picked up today from Habitat for $25. Pulled the pull cord and it pulls over nicely and holds up under its own weight. So I think the compression is good.

Plan is to clean up the saw with our 6 year old and see if we can get it to run and cut.

I have a couple questions that I am hoping you guys can help me out.

1. What fuel mix ratio should I run? I run 40:1 Stihl synthetic oil with 91 octane non-ethanol fuel in my husky's. Can I run the same mix?

2. Did the Pro Mac 55 come with a chain brake?

3. Where should I go for a carb rebuild kit? Are the kits still available?

4. Parts missing on the exhaust?

Here are some pictures...

IMG_0280_zps5opgxxag.jpg

Thanks for the help guys.

Hi and welcome. To answer your questions:
1) Old equipment is best run on 4% (25:1) premix
2) Models built from 1975 came with chain brake as standard, earlier ones had it as an option
3) The ProMac 55 came with one of two carburetors: either a Tillotson HS or a Walbro SDC. The Tillotson repair kit is RK23HS and the Walbro is K10-SDC. The genuine Tillotson kit is not available anymore but there are plenty of aftermarket kits available, while the Walbro is available both in genuine and aftermarket form.
4) All ProMac 55's I've seen were like that.

It looks like you need a walbro K10-SDC carburetor kit ( I zoomed in and see SDC on the carburetor).
Replacement fuel lines are available aftermarket. I put a little teflon tape around the grommet to get a better seal on mine and they done seem to leak. Yours likely has a wick type filter, which works but when they get old they can fall apart.
I don't see anything missing on the exhaust. It looks funny without the chain brake but yeah, some didn't have one.
I run 35:1 ratio in all my saws, new or old. There are PLENTY of fuel oil ratio discussions here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in the 70's I lived in Alaska, and I bought my first NEW chainsaw, it was a Pro Mac 55...

I cut a lot of wood with that saw as I heated my home back then with a home made bbl. stove, it was a pretty nice saw to own, those days.

Although I haven't started my 55 in many many years, I bet I could get it running and put it right back to work.

BTW, mine didn't come with a chain brake...

SR

Back in the 70's I lived in Alaska, and I bought my first NEW chainsaw, it was a Pro Mac 55...

I cut a lot of wood with that saw as I heated my home back then with a home made bbl. stove, it was a pretty nice saw to own, those days.

Although I haven't started my 55 in many many years, I bet I could get it running and put it right back to work.

BTW, mine didn't come with a chain brake...

SR

His must be an early version. Mine has the black air filter cover and the short style cover with a chain brake.

Hi and welcome. To answer your questions:
1) Old equipment is best run on 4% (25:1) premix
2) Models built from 1975 came with chain brake as standard, earlier ones had it as an option
3) The ProMac 55 came with one of two carburetors: either a Tillotson HS or a Walbro SDC. The Tillotson repair kit is RK23HS and the Walbro is K10-SDC. The genuine Tillotson kit is not available anymore but there are plenty of aftermarket kits available, while the Walbro is available both in genuine and aftermarket form.
4) All ProMac 55's I've seen were like that.

Thanks everyone for the help. I wasn't sure about the mix because I found that the Super Pro 125 takes 40:1 and it was built in 71 and 72.

I found this picture of the screen that I think is missing for the exhaust. Now the hard part of finding one.

I have a Pro Mac 60. Has good power and those saws are fairly light for their time. I have a couple of nice chain brakes for those saws if you are not comfortable running the saw without one. many of the early chain brakes were kind of cumbersome and a lot of them were simply removed and tossed in a box. Don't know what the deal is with these, but they certainly didn't see much use.

IMG_1434.JPG

I have a Pro Mac 60. Has good power and those saws are fairly light for their time. I have a couple of nice chain brakes for those saws if you are not comfortable running the saw without one. many of the early chain brakes were kind of cumbersome and a lot of them were simply removed and tossed in a box. Don't know what the deal is with these, but they certainly didn't see much use.

View attachment 567014

Hey Bob,

Ill send you an email.

Thanks

Just my two cents - you should be fine with your current mix. The only MACs I know with a factory recommendation of more oil are the 82cc ten series which call for 32/1. Some here even run those 40/1 with modern oil.

Ron

Man those are some great looking saws guys.

Well the Pro Mac 55 is alive. I put some fresh fuel in it and it popped over on the 3rd pull. What a cool sounding saw.

I noticed I have a fuel leak around the fuel line so I pulled the fuel line and tank off.

I am planning on replacing the fuel line and tank gasket. What is the black gasket stuff on the back on the tank cover?

It seals the airbox to keep sawdust out. You can either buy a gasket set or just make a new one from some thin scrap rubber. It is a two piece gasket

afe13c7d10aeb478c8a5109f30f46731.jpg

It's the two gaskets on the bottom right. I made by own and then coated them in motoseal.

Cool I hope these kits are still available to buy.

Do you guy know what parts on these saw are interchangeable? The Mac 10-10 looks just like my Pro Mac 55.

Thanks

The gasket set shown above is available on e-bay and reasonably priced. That vintage saw would have come with the gooey sealer you show in your photos but the others will work fine. I have some made of a foam rubber that came with a large lot of parts.

Send a PM with your address and I can send you the screen and cover you posted above, I have a few spares.

I prefer a chain brake on my PM55 that I fit with a new piston and cylinder, just too peppy to trust without the brake.

As has been noted, you can't go wrong with 40:1 and good oil, keep the mix fresh for best results.

Be careful of after market fuel lined, they can be pretty stiff and cheap. You will pay a little more for NOS but it will be worth it.

My PM55 and my 7-10 are two of my favorite saws to use, and I have many options available. I didn't have the brake on it this day and did manage to just nick my thumb due to a little kick back...

DSC01323.JPG

Mark

The gasket set shown above is available on e-bay and reasonably priced. That vintage saw would have come with the gooey sealer you show in your photos but the others will work fine. I have some made of a foam rubber that came with a large lot of parts.

Send a PM with your address and I can send you the screen and cover you posted above, I have a few spares.

I prefer a chain brake on my PM55 that I fit with a new piston and cylinder, just too peppy to trust without the brake.

As has been noted, you can't go wrong with 40:1 and good oil, keep the mix fresh for best results.

Be careful of after market fuel lined, they can be pretty stiff and cheap. You will pay a little more for NOS but it will be worth it.

My PM55 and my 7-10 are two of my favorite saws to use, and I have many options available. I didn't have the brake on it this day and did manage to just nick my thumb due to a little kick back...

View attachment 567564

Mark

Mark that is so nice of you. Thank you.

Those are some cool looking saws. Whats the big one top middle?

I have a PM55 that currently is in pieces in a box that I hope to rebuild at a future date. I'm pretty sure mine has an air leak because it idled real high and I couldn't get it to idle down, think the crank seals are shot, just haven't taken the time to check it out.

Latest posts

Back