Help choosing a 70 cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my Mac 700, but use my 044 and 372 for real work. The Mac will do anything the others will, but slower, louder, and with a few more vibes. The 460, 461, and 7900 are also good choices with more power and will run a longer bar easier. The 576 is not popular around these parts.

Jeez, just looking at the weight/power specs of the 6400 and 365, it's hard to ignore a good ol' 357xp. I know they are now discontinued :( but claimed power is in the same ballpark and 2lbs lighter. I notice the weight difference, especially after a couple tanks of fuel or so.

Might not be a bad idea to hunt up a 357. It's going to be pretty close in power to the 6400 and 365.

Check it out: http://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/products/xp-saws/357-xp/#specifications

My 357 with a 20" bar is my go-to saw most of the time.

And I would add that while I have not used a 365, I HAVE spent some time with a 6400. The 6400 is a good working saw for sure. But if I'm going to use a heavier saw, I want more power. This is where the 372 comes in. ;)

IMHO, if you are going to go with 70cc weight, get 70cc power. Make it worth the trade-off.

buy a 365 X-Torq, remove the transfer caps, grind out the baffle, re-install the caps and just like magic it's a 372. OR you could buy a really nice 272 XP and have enough money left over for a new case, a couple of nice new bars, (i.e. Tsumura or Sugi Hara, well, maybe just one new one if you buy a lightweight version) and a few new loops of RS.

Joe

I wasn't aware of the 365 before this thread. Both it and the 6400 are looking appealing as far as new saws go.
Just in case it hasn't been mention, a new 365 is 71cc, same as a new 372xp.

And as Ride-Red mention a 357xp is a hell of a saw! I prefer a strong 55-60cc saw over a 64-79cc any day of the week...

My personal favorite, in unported form, is the 10 mm 044. With filter & muff mods you can do yourself it will generally beat the others, and run right with the 460s (but with less wt).

Ported, the 372s and 460s get very strong. Used 441 s and 7900 s are also good choices.

If you are looking for new, 461s have been on sale recently due to a production problem with 441s. A place in CT is advertising new 461s with 28" B&C for $899, not a bad deal for a new saw with a warranty!

Just in case it hasn't been mention, a new 365 is 71cc, same as a new 372xp.
buy a 365 X-Torq, remove the transfer caps, grind out the baffle, re-install the caps and just like magic it's a 372. OR you could buy a really nice 272 XP and have enough money left over for a new case, a couple of nice new bars, (i.e. Tsumura or Sugi Hara, well, maybe just one new one if you buy a lightweight version) and a few new loops of RS.

Joe

Are there any other differences between the two saws? Seems like I might have seen somewhere that the air filters were different.

Is there a good thread about modding the 365? I couldn't turn much up with a search.

Latest posts

Back