Help choosing Stihl Kombi

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you'll be happy with the 94. I have the km130 and like others have said it's super
torquey which is great for edging and other demanding tasks but it's a lunk to carry around. I also have a dedicated fs80r pro trimmer that I found cheap, so that's what I use to trim. If I were to buy again I'd look really hard at the 94.

Well to be honest I did not find the KM131 that heavy, but I think it has shed some weight compared to the 130. 4.4kg vs 4.6 ?
I also did not notice much vibration, but only used it for about 20-30 minutes.
Main issue I had was my inability to feather the throttle trigger, which would sometimes easily go full power when I did not want it too.

Otherwise I really liked it .. and even though I only tried it once, I think I already miss it a little bit.

I just hope we start on a good foot with the KM94 too :)

I have never uploaded a video of anything, may be something I need to investigate how.

A lot of your concerns/questions have been answered in this thread, you just seem to not let any advice sink in. The km94 starting procedure is as easy as the 131. Pin throttle, twist and depress choke pull starter & on the 3rd pull (usually) it starts (not pops) and when you touch the throttle the choke auto disengages. The finish with the hedgetrimmer will be as good/better than the 131. Like a chainsaw power is no good if the chain is blunt....learning how to disassemble the blades and sharpen them will determine how well your hedge finish is into the future. Also on the 94 their is a dial control on the throttle control handle, you can set this to control your throttle so if you only want half throttle you adjust and then when trigger is fully depressed only half throttle will be allowed. Buy some mineral Stihl oil (the cheap one) and run that for the first few tanks and if you insist on synthetics do so after break in with mineral oil. Then put the unit under as much load as you can, don't baby it during break in.

The throttle dial control on 94 is one of the reasons why I got it now (in case I still have issues feathering the trigger).

I had to buy that Stihl 6 pack 2 stroke oil to get the double warranty. Is that the Synthetic one ? It's at home so can't currently check.
If so, sounds like maybe I should find some mineral oil first, hopefully the dealer would have some.

I have read on another forum, someone going from KM130 down to KM90 and noticing a significant drop in quality of finish when hedge trimming. But then again, there are probably many more users with the opposite experience, being more than happy with their KM90 or KM94s. I just worry a little bit until I try it, that's how I am, I worry :)

I felt like the KM131 was really torquey, I have not yet tried the KM94, I might be just as well pleasantly surprised, even if not as much.

Only reason why I say it is more finicky to start is based on the dealer's instructions:

KM131
1. Push Primer 2-3 times (or whatever that button to get fuel through the carburetor is called)
2. Choke close (cold position)- two pulls
3. Choke warm position - next pull should start
4. Depress throttle, choke auto opens, let it idle for 30 seconds
5. Ready to go ..

KM94
1. Push Primer 6-7 times
2. Choke close (it does not seem to have cold and warm positions)
3. Should start on 2-3 pulls
4. Wait 10-15 seconds (run it idle on choke), then press throttle trigger to auto open choke
5. Let it idle for at least 30 more seconds
6. Bring it to full RPM for about 3 seconds, then back to idle for 3 seconds
7. Repeat step 6 a few times, until you can hear / feel it has been warmed up / governor kicks in

To me that feels like a bit more work.
But it was different technicians both times explaining this, so maybe some of this is overkill.

I am sorry about leaving the impression about "not letting any advice to sink in". So far I have appreciated all advice given. I would have likely currently been with some cheap stuff from Home Depot or Canadian Tire, and pulling my hear out, if I was to just ignore all your opinions :)

I cannot comment on the km-90 as I've not used one but for starting procedure the k-94 is one of the simplest/easiest systems I've ever used and I have used a fair few. The main thing with your hedge attachment is to keep the blades sharp, oiled (lanolin spray is best IME) & keep the gearbox greased. You can buy a guard for the tip to prevent it smashing into the ground which chips the blades if concrete or gets dirt/sand on them. Do NOT use canola cooking spray oil on the blades it will seize them up! A cleaning spray to dissolve sap/gum build up should be avalible from Stihl but frequent lanolin spraying of the blades will minimise build up. Carefully trimming around wire fences, its very easy to chip the blades. In time you will realise the right decision has been made getting the KM94. The only attachment that significantly would benefit from the increased torque would be the blower which I don't have as I use H/holds and backpacks. The oil you likely got for the warranty is Stihl Ultra full synthetic. Its horrible oil for OPE, I run mineral oil and sometimes semi synthetic. Out of the Stihl oils I'd choose the semi FD rated HP oil or the FB rated mineral. The main reason Stihl offer a full synthetic now (had not for over 50 years) is due to the 4mix engines that have valves. Run the unit as hard as you can (under load) after a brief 30 second warm up. Don't start it up until your ready to seat the rings & break it in properly. Pressure seats rings and you get a small window of opportunity to do it well.

It does not really say if it is the "HP Ultra" or synthetic.

It's a pack of 6 100ml bottles, white ones, with orange caps. Says

"
Premium
Two-stroke engine oil
(contains fuel stabilizer)
50:1
100ml
API TC
"

From what I can see in the catalogue, the HP Ultra has black caps. I guess I can call the dealer tomorrow and confirm what this actually is (if they actually know :) ).

With that said, the engine has already been started up and revved-somewhat by the technician at the dealership when getting it ready for me (I guess basic checks and tuning) and while demonstrating how to start it up.
I have no clue what he actually put inside. I'll try and ask tomorrow, if not sure I guess best thing would be to empty the tank and put mineral oil before I start it up again to do some work.

I also hope him running it full throttle a few times this morning without any load when setting it up, would have not hurt the break-in period.

I asked the dealer, they said it is just a regular 2-stroke oil, is not synthetic. So I'd hope its ok to use during the break in.
Does not say the rating, but at least its not synthetic.

I just picked up a 131 Kombi with the power sweep, edger, and trimmer. Coming from my FS90R this thing is a BEAST! Easy to start, easy to switch attachments, wicked torque.

I'll likely pick up a few more attachments but I already have a gas hedge trimmer, pole saw, tree saw, and regular saw.

You can't go wrong with too much power.

I too picked up a KM131R along with the pruning saw attachment, string trimmer, hub kit to mount metal blades like the 4 blade grass blade and chisel tooth saw blade, extension shaft, and weeding/tiller attachment. I pruned up about 45 trees in a friends ponderosa pine grove, only used about a half tank of fuel. With the shoulder strap set right, it was a pleasure to use. Love the torque from that engine too. So far, it has started on the first pull, hot or cold (using choke when cold) every time.

One thing I did run in to though....the pruner bar nut loosens up very easily when cutting large branches (over four inches in dia). It seems like the bar vibrates badly in some cases and that quickly causes the bar nut to come loose. I work on Stihl saws and know what torque to use on the nut, so I don't think it's a failing on my part. The real bummer is, when the nut comes loose and the bar tosses the chain, the slot in the bar chews up the rear aluminum tang that keeps the bar aligned along with the bar nut stud. I'm curious if anyone else has seen that behavior.

stihl_kombi.jpg

So I took the pole pruner attachment back. What I was given is the "updated" part. Bar is on the left side of the new one, uses 1/4" pico chain, and the housing is mostly made of plastic. While Stihl's plastic is better than most, I'm questioning the durability of the new saw. We will see....really makes me think about seeing if the sales guy (he's a pro Stihl dude) will replace the chewed up aluminum on the original one and retrofit it with a 1/4" chain.

I just don't know...

I did pick up the blower attachment as it was in stock. Man...works dang awesome! The 131R likes the load too...runs really nice.

So I took the pole pruner attachment back. What I was given is the "updated" part. Bar is on the left side of the new one, uses 1/4" pico chain, and the housing is mostly made of plastic. While Stihl's plastic is better than most, I'm questioning the durability of the new saw. We will see....really makes me think about seeing if the sales guy (he's a pro Stihl dude) will replace the chewed up aluminum on the original one and retrofit it with a 1/4" chain.

I just don't know...

I did pick up the blower attachment as it was in stock. Man...works dang awesome! The 131R likes the load too...runs really nice.

Can you take a pic of your pole saw please. I'd like to compare it to mine.

I just picked up the Kombi system myself. I'll admit I was very apprehensive as I'm an engineer for an outdoor power equipment company, and typically these things are "jack of all trades and masters of none". I was certainly wrong about the Kombi though, great machine, well thought out attachment and attachment method.

Tons of torque as well with the 130. As of right now I have the straight shaft trimmer and the tri-brush blade, and the blower.

Eventually I'll probably purchase an edger and pole saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine doesn't look like that. I haven't had any problems with my pole pruner and it has about 15 hours on it doing everything from pruning to wood as long as the bar.

You can see the one I had in the picture of me cutting limbs. The original one had a hell of a vibration and the bar nut would come loose very quickly, even when torqued down really well. I don't assume the original one will be available once supplies run out.

To give an update, I just test drove the KM94 trimming parts of the lawn, and doing some edging.

I don't have much experience with this, but I was very pleased. Throttle control I found much much easier compared with the KM131 I had before, or it could be I am just getting the hang of it with more practice. But I did not find once revving up on me full power when I did not want it, like it was happening with the KM131 when trying to feather it now and then.

They say the 4-mix have a more pleasing sound than a 2 stroke, but I think to my ears the KM94 sounded quieter, and not as intensive. The sound of the KM131 was making me a bit uncomfortable at WOT. Something you get used to I am sure, and I do wear hearing protection anyway, but comparing it I believe the KM94 was quieter (although it has been a while since I tried the KM131 last)

It did very good work edging too, I just struggled with the factory (dealer ?) installed line on the trimmer, it is probably just too old and dry, kept breaking on me, or getting stuck in the head, forcing me to turn the engine off and rewind it several times. I hope its just the line, and not the head, if the later I may replace it with those Echo Speed-Feed ones later. Or it could just be my inexperience too :)

I have not tried hedging, the dealer just got the new 145 kombi hedger in stock a few days ago, but I already used some hedge shears to trim the tops only. My hedge is only about 2 years old, bought 7 footers at the time, it was now grown to 8-9 feet, so it does not really require a power hedger yet, I just trimmed the tops to about 8 feet high.

Might try using the hedger attachment next year.

Back