Help converting gas fireplace to wood burning.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
This is what I have. I'm pretty sure it is not rated for wood burning. The propane stub sticking into the fireplace probably isn't a good thing.

DSC05256.jpg

DSC05258.jpg

DSC05257.jpg

DSC05260.jpg

DSC05259.jpg

DSC05261.jpg

What I want to do is put in an insert, small one that has natural forced air, doesn't need power to push warm air out. One that will burn 18" wood.

I tried contacting the manufacturer and did not get a response.

I'm guessing that I could put an insert in and run a stack that's rated for this application without much in the way of modifications. The propane stub can be left where it is.

When we bought the place the propane fireplace seemed like an ok idea......until we had to fill the tank. That propane fireplace is never going to be used as long as I'm living here.

You're going to have to call a professional in.

Your chimney is most likely not rated for wood burning so it will probably need some modifications (if it's large enough, it'll probably need a stainless steel liner) and they will have to check the diameter of the flue before you can pick out an insert.

And no, leaving the propane stub there is not a good idea.

I had a similar situation to this in my home. When we built we had the fireplace installed and gas logs in them. When I wanted to change over to wood burning I wasn't sure what my choices were. I contacted the installer( they're 2minutes from my house anyway) and they told me what I had was a Lennox zero clearance fireplace with the gas insert installed. It was a wood burning fireplace with gas guts in it. The venting, by code, was installed to comply for the wood-burning fireplace. He confirmed that what I had to do was disconnect the gas guts, cap the pipe in the firebox and make sure the gas is disconnected, unless I wanted to install a gas ignitor. This was 3years ago and I've had no problems with it.
I can't say what this means for YOUR situation, but I hope it helps.

Dave

Convert It to a Wood Stove?

I would go all the way and forget the typical fireplace idea. Most wood-burning fireplaces are terribly inneficient and send most of your heat right up the chimney. You appear to want to burn wood, so please consider a high-efficency stove instead. Several are available. That's MHO.

Yep, rip it out and put in a freestanding woodstove. I had a wood-burning ZC fireplace and that was my only option (not a big enough box for an insert and the pipe was not the right stuff. My ZC was a corner install, so I was able to re-use the 'hole' in the ceiling/roof to run the Class A pipe through.

Most wood-burning fireplaces are terribly inefficient and send most of your heat right up the chimney. You appear to want to burn wood, so please consider a high-efficency stove instead.

Got that right! Wood stoves heat your house. Wood fireplaces are good for ambiance, but probably won't shave a nickel off your heating bill.

Thanks for the help.

What I was hoping to do is to put in an insert and pipe it to the existing chimney vent dealio.

Not take out anything but just slide in a wood burning stove, so to speak. Something with a plate on the front to cover up any gaps and such but have an insert with a door and all that, with venting to vent the heat into the room.

The flue temps are higher with a stove and the venting installed with the fireplace isn't rated for that use......as told to me by the company who installed it. The firebox isn't designed for an insert, either. Again, a stand alone stove is your best bet.

Dave

Back