Help Diagnosing Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Here is a case for everyone. This is an oak in my neighbors yard. As you can see about half the branches have lost leaves. I have posted some pictures for help. I'm stumped. The only thing I can think of is root damage when the pool was installed about 15 years ago. However, I would have thought damages like this would occur within a few years of construction, and the tree just started doing loosing leaves this year. I also had a friend tell me it was Oak Anthracnose but doing some research on the internet doesn't make me think that after looking at leaves and comparing pictures. I'm open to anything. image (6).jpeg image (5).jpeg image (4).jpeg image (3).jpeg image (2).jpeg image (1).jpeg image (11).jpeg image (10).jpeg

What you are seeing on the leaves likely has nothing to do with the leaf dieback. There is some very insignificant leaf feeding and a couple of fungal spots, but nothing that is going to bother the tree.

Looks like there are a couple of scales on the twigs in the 1st and 3rd picture. Are those more widespread??? They could certainly be causing branch death if there are enough of them.

What kind of weed and feed fertilizer are you using on your lawn?

You should keep all applications out of the root zone of the tree and that zone extends to the pool edge and beyond.

I think maybe you've been bad.

Back