Help me decide: Stihl 066 Magnum vs. MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hybridkarpower

Green eyes in the dark
Reaction score
Gents:

Please give my your 2 cents on which one I should pick. I have an opportunity right now to buy either one (both used in excellent condition). I have never owned either one, but I can handle my MS441 very easily so an extra 2 lbs won't be a problem.

Pro's & Cons of each model would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

They are basically the same. I have heard that some of the older 066's had a little more power though. Don't hold me to that.

I know the 066 I had before I bought my 660 was 16 years old this year and I swear it felt like it still had an edge over my new 660.

They are basically the same. I have heard that some of the older 066's had a little more power though. Don't hold me to that.

I know the 066 I had before I bought my 660 was 16 years old this year and I swear it felt like it still had an edge over my new 660.

I have also heard the 066 has alittle more power. I think it was in a thread a couple weeks ago.

I was thinking somewhere along that line too !! Were the 066 built before EPA got their hands on the 2-cycles ?

I believe the 066's without the decomp. lever had up to .8 more hp??

Gents:

Please give my your 2 cents on which one I should pick. I have an opportunity right now to buy either one (both used in excellent condition). I have never owned either one, but I can handle my MS441 very easily so an extra 2 lbs won't be a problem.

Thanks.

The older 066 had a bit more power, primarily due to a less restrictive muffler. If you end up getting the newer MS660, You can always get one of these:
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=QS+1122+140+0800&catID=389
Its a OEM dual port muffler cover, or you could save yourself some cash and do a muff mod yourself.
Here's a thread by Tzed:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=61432&highlight=ms660+dual+port+cover
and there's plenty of MS660 muff mod threads around, just do a search. Other than that the MS660 and the late model 066 were nearly identical.
The old school 066 had some differences: the case is different, no decomp, it didn't have the poly flywheel, fuel tank was a bit smaller, there might be some more variations, but that's all that comes to mind.:)

Gents:

Thanks.

I'd get both. (If you don't suffer from CAD yet this will help you on your way).

Which ever you choose, consider the dual port muffler cover. A very quick bolt on fix for the saw to breath better. Then you might want to send it off to Mr Snelling, or one of the other folks who mod saws here and make it onto a real monster. Lots of fun to run a 066 running at 14,000 rpm.

Hal

I am told that the early years of the 066 had different port timings that gave it more power and lends itself to better power gains when modified. Otherwise, they are the same saw.

Yeah and in the chainsaw world newer isnt always better

True that.

I would let the condition of the saws, inside and out, be the only determining factor in my choice. Either of them will do you right.

There is nothing different in them unless the 066 is the really old one.

Parts are just as plentiful for either. Both just as easy to work on.

from my experience............

066s seem more reliable and durable than 660s for some reason.

Back