Help me get unscrewed...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Learnin 2 Mill

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought what was advertised as a Stihl 075 on eBay last week. Upon inspection after receiving it, it is a 051, as there is no manual oiler, or decomp valve. The seller is giving me a hard time on issuing a return/refund. Is there a way that I can back trace the model info from the serial number on the saw? I could really use some advice on this, thanks in advance.

Paulimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

If you don't want the saw, you can contact eBay customer service and file a formal complaint, they will get you your money back and shut down the seller for a period of 30 days, it's quite the incentive to motivate the seller. Had to do this a year or so, ago! That's the eBay A to Z guarantee! Hope this helps you out. Be sure to write a really negative feedback, as well. For others that are screwed over by them, in the future!

Is the cylinder held on with long studs or screws. I can't help with the serial number but that'll tell you for sure. 051 used screws, 075 used long studs. Lots of Franken saws of this type out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your quick responses. I have already started a return, I'm just hoping to resolve it between myself and the seller. He has a very good eBay rating, so I'm hoping that he will see the light... If he doesn't, I will have eBay step in. The reason I'm looking for the serial trace is just to have something that a layman will be able to see the difference. I'm also hoping to not have to tear the saw down to prove my point. He is standing by the fact that a Stihl dealer near his house told him it was a 075. We'll see how it goes, I also emailed Stihl with the serial number in hopes of getting some info from them.

Thanks again, he appears to have come around a bit after I sent him some pics. He wants me to take it to a local Stihl dealer, but the last one I was in didn't know that there were 2 different size bar mounts... I'll make some calls and see if anyone in the area knows older Stihl saws. On that note, anyone in the Portland, OR area know of a good knowledgeable Stihl dealer?

Thanks again, he appears to have come around a bit after I sent him some pics. He wants me to take it to a local Stihl dealer, but the last one I was in didn't know that there were 2 different size bar mounts... I'll make some calls and see if anyone in the area knows older Stihl saws. On that note, anyone in the Portland, OR area know of a good knowledgeable Stihl dealer?

I'm just outside Portland and go to the Molalla saw shop. Been in business forever, 3 generations to be exact. May be a bit of a drive for you but that guy knows old saws.

If you remove the muffler cover you should be able to look behind the muffler and see nuts on top of the cylinder (or most likely not if its an 051)
79605b86f8a9a48e85d99f096e999453.jpg

That's all the proof you need
f6e0a8c7a58b44f7c165dcc3fd217e07.jpg

(Excerpt from service manual)

Thanks for your quick responses. I have already started a return, I'm just hoping to resolve it between myself and the seller. He has a very good eBay rating, so I'm hoping that he will see the light... If he doesn't, I will have eBay step in. The reason I'm looking for the serial trace is just to have something that a layman will be able to see the difference. I'm also hoping to not have to tear the saw down to prove my point. He is standing by the fact that a Stihl dealer near his house told him it was a 075. We'll see how it goes, I also emailed Stihl with the serial number in hopes of getting some info from them.
I seriously doubt Stihl will be able to help you much.
But it doesn't matter, he will give you your money back. The funds are already yanked out of his account anyway......
It would help here if you could take some better pics though.....

Thank you Cease232, I'm taking the saw to the Molalla Saw Shop tomorrow! Dan, is willing to take a look at the saw and talk to the seller. I wonder what the seller will have to say now? Dan also has a couple of saws for me to look at! Here's hoping that the end is in sight!

Thank you Cease232, I'm taking the saw to the Molalla Saw Shop tomorrow! Dan, is willing to take a look at the saw and talk to the seller. I wonder what the seller will have to say now? Dan also has a couple of saws for me to look at! Here's hoping that the end is in sight!

No worries. He's a good guy. You'll probably drive right by me. I'd say come on over and you could run an 076, 088, and 090 but I'll be gone all day tomorrow. Another time haha.

Talk about a whirlwind morning! I woke to an email from eBay saying the case was closed and they decided in favor of the seller. Needless to say, my BP shot through the roof! I then spent about 45 mins on the phone, working my way up the chain. I just got off the phone, eBays final decision was to refund my money, including shipping, and let me keep the 051! I am beside myself right now! The guy I spoke with said it would be difficult and expensive to ship, so just keep it! On that note, anyone in the market for a 051? ;-)

Talk about a whirlwind morning! I woke to an email from eBay saying the case was closed and they decided in favor of the seller. Needless to say, my BP shot through the roof! I then spent about 45 mins on the phone, working my way up the chain. I just got off the phone, eBays final decision was to refund my money, including shipping, and let me keep the 051! I am beside myself right now! The guy I spoke with said it would be difficult and expensive to ship, so just keep it! On that note, anyone in the market for a 051? ;-)
Interesting how little it took for them to reverse their decision. Glad it worked out in the end for you.

I'm really surprised they told you to keep the saw though.

Latest posts

Back