Help me out guys. What kind of wood is this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runknpap

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Saw this tree and thought I had something special. But I have no idea what kind of tree it is. Only one way to find out. when I spilt it open it was dripping wet so wet I could drink it. I just want to know if it is worth it.20150330_173911.jpeg 20150330_181507.jpeg
20150330_105043.jpeg 20150330_112647.jpeg

seemed pretty dense but it was rather soft. and for some reason my freshly sharpened blade didn't cut tat good. it was slow going

ive never delt with that had some guy say it might be sweet gum tree. right now im thinking firewood. But would like to know if it is worth milling air drying for a year and then selling.

I dont think sweet gum comes this far north. Maybe if you were in the SE PA area... I cannot comment on milling it. Im sure it would burn just fine as firewood.

I dont think sweet gum comes this far north. Maybe if you were in the SE PA area... I cannot comment on milling it. Im sure it would burn just fine as firewood.

First guess is cottonwood, sweet gum gets planted a lot "up here" because it is resistant to most everything. Both are pallet wood, guessing it will warp badly if either

Ya thanks. everything I read about sweet gum says. it cups, twists and splits. im pissed cause I basically wasted a whole day with that monster log.

Poplar
Poplar is a species of wood that is commonly used in woodworking. You can find poplar in many furniture projects, toys and wood turnings because it is inexpensive, fairly workable and takes nails, screws and glue well. It works best with paint as a finish, but it can often be stained in an attempt to simulate finer woods (provided the proper steps are taken in the finishing process). Poplar is also used quite often for more industrial purposes, such as the core of finer plywoods or for crates and pallets.

Poplar wood is considered a hardwood by species, but this can be somewhat confusing as it is typically softer than pine, a common softwood. In most instances, poplar (or should we say what is sold as poplar in home centers) is actually the wood from the tulip tree. It is a creamy white-colored wood with brown or gray sections or streaks through the grain. Garden-variety poplar wood is also sometimes referred to as yellow poplar or whitewood, but you may also find poplars to include European black poplar, cottonwood or some types of aspen.

grade_4sc.png

haven't tried splitting it only milled it. Oh man im soo confused those pictures of popular look almost the exact same as the log I milled today. Thanks for the responses heres another pic.

20150330_134334.jpeg

haven't tried splitting it only milled it. Oh man im soo confused those pictures of popular look almost the exact same as the log I milled today. Thanks for the responses heres another pic.

View attachment 415828

Cut a short round and split it. If you get a Z shape it is probably cottonwood. If your maul bounces back and hit you between the eyes then it is probably gum ( according to former uncle in law) he maintained it was like splitting an eraser

ill will do that tomorrow
thanks

after all the research I have done im leaning towards it being a cottonwood. It was very fury when I milled it. had me thinking something was wrong with my chain. And it was very wet where it was holing a lot of the sawdust between the board. meaning it wasent kicking it back like it should have. again making me think mu freshly sharpened 10 degree chain had something wrong with it. But I just think now it was the log itself.

"Dripping wet" always reminds me of Chinese Elm. Used to live around some. Any time a branch would break off, it would leak like a faucet.

I cut an elm yesterday and at one point it was like cutting through the pipe to the faucet, just gushing water.

sounds like cotton wood. a big give away with cotton wood is it smells like dog sh*t. I cut about a 2' diameter and noticed the same things: very wet, "furry" surface, a notable odor. been air drying for about 2 years now and still smells a bit.

What does it smell like?

BTW, I've made buckets of cash on cutting and selling American Sweetgum. Find the market, mill the timber, move the timber....repeat as necessary.

Scott (ASweetgum is smelly) B

Back