Help my CSM is shearing tensioner bolts!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwasawmill

Reaction score
I'm reaching out there for any help experienced chainsaw mill'rs on here can give.

I bought a 60" Granberg Alaskan III and a 66" double-ender bar from GB to mate with my Husky 3120xp powerhead for a fairly cheap slabbing mill. I've slabbed two logs so far, one White Oak and one Red oak at 41" and 48" max widths respectively. On both logs I have had the tensioner bolt on the 3120 shear off, as in fold up through the slot on the clutch cover.

I don't think I am putting too much tension on the setup as I can still pull the chain about 2" out of the bar mid-span before operating. I'm not pushing the saw hard, just feeding it steadily without it bogging. I'm setting the powerhead tensioner enough to take the slack out of the chain, then locking the bar cover down and using the roller-handle tensioner on the other end of the bar for final adjustments and taking up chain stretch. This has me scratching my head.

I can understand breaking one as maybe the first log I ran too much tension, but the second go around I was being very careful with the tension for that reason, and was really surprised to shear the second one. Surely I'm not the only person this has happened to, what do I need to change or upgrade to prevent this?

Thanks

RP

So I had the same issue. I stopped using the saw to tension. I may have used it some, but not to pull the chain, only to remove some slack. I was also having issues with the 3/8 bolt on the handle breaking. I had to modify it some how, but I can't remember how I did it.

Back