help needed from the one saw owners.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and your 346 XP works for everything ?

No it will be slow on larger diameter trees 18 inches and up it will be to slow to work at a pace you will be happy with .I would want a saw in the 70 cc range with 3/8 chain to cut wood this size like a Stihl 046 or husky 372 or Dolmar 7900.

Last edited:
It kinda depends on what you are going to be cutting. Most of us here have at least 2 saws, one for limbing and small stuff and another for big tree trunks. Don't expect to cut a 40" Oak tree with a Super 2, and it might be tiring to cut small tree limbs with a Mac 250 with a 36" bar.

You know if ya can go to your dealer and see if he will let you run a couple of saws, as that may help you decide. However, if I were you I would wait on the 560 or 555 coming out. Main thing, run some saws and have a good time deciding. :)

I technically only own two saws.

I bought a Stihl MS 290, and while I like it for the most part, the oiler is awful. The chain is always on the dry side even with using Stihl bar oil. I have a 16" bar and it gets hot on long cuts. Other than that, it runs great, and always starts. I'd go with whatever the next step up is to get you to a "Pro" saw with a better oiler.

I have an old beater McCullough with a 20" bar that I picked up for free. The guy couldn't sell a non-running saw and couldn't understand why. :bang: All that was wrong with it, was a crack in the fuel line. I shortened it up a little, and cut 6 cord with it. Not bad for free. :D

My dad has a Johnsered, but had trouble with it starting. We had to put a screw in the choke plate to get it to start. I could "adjust" the mechanism to make it close properly, but this worked. Apparently they haven't fixed the problem. We went to "Woodsmans Day" at the fair, and the dealer was cranking away on a saw. I turned to my wife, and said. "It must be a Johnsered, it doesn't start" :D I looked over to the sign, and sure enough, that's what they were selling. It cuts very well, and I like it. For some reason, I have to start this one on the ground, I can't drop start it without it flailing around more than I like. There is that decompression button, but I haven't messed with it.

There is a pretty good collection of old saws at my parents house, but they don't get used much. I learned on my dads Homelite 350. It doesn't have a chain brake, and he always had trouble with it running properly, but it was a great saw when it was working. :D

I had one saw for a long time - 038 mag. I have since gotten a 6401 (hope to upgrade it to a 7901 soon), which I really like and use most of the time. For a one saw person, I'd go bigger than smaller, as cutting larger wood sucks with a small saw. I'd look at a 372, 441/460, or a 7900.

I had a 1 saw program for several years. My 359 was the first and it served me well. Problem is, I wanted something lighter and more nimble for limbing and needed the ability to cut out a pinched saw so I added the 345. This saw is quite unerrated but unfortunately no longer produced. Quick to rev, decent power, acts and handles very similar to a watered down 346. It just gets knocked for plastic and clamshell.

Now I added a 346xpne to my collection and to be honest I think for most of my cutting this saw will do.

TP

The value of your posts will go up in spades if you actually go out and buy SOMETHING, ANYTHING rather than riding the fence and starting new threads but asking the same questions over and over.

I ran only one saw for 9 years, cutting 6"-24" oak, 10-15 cords per year, heating two homes and a large shop. Also used it for thinning and clearing trails on a 400 acre property.

That saw is an old 346xp (45cc). Sometimes I wanted a larger saw, but not often. It has and still does a fine job for me.

The 346 is still my top pick for a one saw plan. But I now like having more than one saw. That said, I will get a 562xp when they are available, that is going to be a great saw!

Most folks want a larger saw. Not me! :hmm3grin2orange:

It's all a personal choice, you will not be satisfied until you spend a good bit of time with the saw/s in question.

Telepatique, I mean no offense, but why have you started several threads asking basically the same question?--"I can only afford one saw, which saw should I get?"

You can read about different saws until you go crosseyed, and you can second guess your purchase until you go totally daft. At some point you have to quit reading the advice, make a purchase, and be satisfied that you bought the right saw for your needs.

If most of what you are cutting is in the 15-20in. range with some 20-25in. stuff thrown in then I would go with a 60cc saw. If you are cutting more in the 20-25in. part of your 15-25in. realm, then go with a 70cc saw. A 70cc saw is still light/nimble enought to limb with. Just get a good one, Husky, Stihl, etc., and you will be fine. There are other great brands those are just the most common.

there is a battle between what I think I need and what I want
if I overbuy and don`t need....i`ll be sorry
if I underbuy and I will need....sorry again.
on the other hand, getting a saw from USA means 40% cheaper but it will affect my 2 years warranty ?

but I got the message. I will not ask this again.
not because I have made up my mind; kinda did, but not all the way.

getting the 372 over here (almost 1000 $) means my paycheck for 3 months. that is why I have to choose carefully. every thread with the same question brought me more info.

for now I have the chinese saw and the 340 to work with in weekends.
there will be additional need starting in spring. until then....I need to make my mind.
today I was visiting Stihl dealer again.
on Monday he-ll have the 362, 280 I and 271 to hold and see.

so far #1 is 365
#2 is 372
#3 is 346
the latter two probably from USA
my favorite is 346 but probably not the best for me.

oh, well thanks for the help. it really was useful.

oh,btw. there was a stihl model with CAT written on the muffler (or KAT) can`t remember. it was an 171 or some bottom ranked saws, smaller engine.
the dealer said that the CAT is actually a wire net that can easily be removed and usually everyone does so

But understand: ALL of the saws you mention are EXCELLENTsaws, so I really don't think you would be disappointed with whatever saw you choose.

I have more than one saw, obviously, but if i had to get rid of ALL of them, save one, Id keep one of my 60cc (stihl 036 or Husky 262).

A good quality 60cc is light enough to use all day and powerful enough to throw a 24" bar on every once in a while if you need the length.

If you can only afford one saw, go 60cc.

The more I think about it, the more I feel you need to wait on the 560xp.
What do you think? Think this might be best too?

I personally dont think its possible to have too much saw....... Unless you have some back issues or are getting older a 372 is the perfect saw because it will pull double duty cutting big and small stuff with ease.

Get a 100cc saw !! cover all the stuff you ever need to do..
nothing like limbing and cutting 12 inch trees with all that power !!
And for the 100+ cord of wood you cut every year you will need it !
Now with all that being said,after you got by with that chinese saw imagine how nice it would be with a real 50cc saw..you dont really cut that much wood,,you dont cut very many large trees,and from what you have said from your very first post for what you need a saw for there are many smaller saws that will make you happy..
everybody will tell you what THEY think you should have and not what you NEED and can afford. a student correct ? .occasional firewood for the cottage,(remember), trimming in the orchard ??? do you really want to spend three months pay on a saw ??
i have cut many 36 inch trees with a dolmar PS510 , $300,,the husqvarna 350 and it's siblings do the same at about the same price..may not be that fast but will do fine on most of the smaller stuff you have talked about and for limbing..and wont cost three months pay..
Stihl,forget it,they just add on lots of $$$ for the paint scheme..no better than the others,just cost more.
my avatar is of a 42 inch maple with the dolmar PS510 in it i used to cut it down and cut it up..was not easy but shows what can be done.
spend you money wiselly ,, buy small and be happy..

Back