Help save my oak please!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daaaveman

Reaction score
Hello. My name is Dave and I'm new here. I recently bought a home in St. Louis and have an Oak that looks to have a problem. Please have a look at the pictures. I'm not even sure what kind of oak it is but the bark is falling off. I can tell you that the tree had a lot of ivy crawling on it which we pulled off. Some of the damage looks older but bark is continuing to peel off the tree. How do I save this tree or can I? Might I have a fungus or a bug issue?

tree2.jpg tree1.jpg

Looks like silver maple to me, white oak has square shaped bark but I believe it will be thicker. Nothing you can do, but you can see the calllus at the side of wound will help prevent decay from spreading to healthy wood.

Agree on the Maple I.D. It has been run into sometime in the past and the injury has killed some bark tissue and exposed the heart-wood. A product called lime/sulfur can be painted on the exposed heartwood to stop decay and ward off beetles that might find it a good home. Bonsai growers use it on dead wood to stop decay when they have 'jin', a term for intentionally dead wood that shows age or resembles a lightning strike. Given another hundred years the tree might grow over that wound!

Not looking good with that much damage on both sides of the tree.

Plant some replacement trees and plan on getting this maple removed in a few years.

Back